Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
brown stuff all over live sand

Hello, i started my new 29 gallon sw tank a little over a week ago, 15lbs crushed coral base, 20 lbs of aruglive live sand "im putting 20 more pounds of argulive live sand this friday on" and only about 5lbs live rock, and iv had it running "cycling" with 4 damsels, i know i know, im going to hell NEVER CYCLE WITH FISH.... i feel bad but iv already started.. anyhow i have a thin layer of brown algea looking stuff ALLL over completly covering my sand... My equipment is the following, basic florescent lamp, penguin 350 biowheel filter, 100w heater..

my guess diatom algea, but, withough a good light, will it go away?????? or am i doomed for life, thank you!
ps im sorry im cycling with the damsels i know it was wrong. :-( please forgive me.

29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
mattt6511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
i know i know, im going to hell NEVER CYCLE WITH FISH....
You have come to the right place my friend.

How long are you running your lights each day? Make sure you do frequent water changes if you are going to cycle this way so the little buggers have a chance to live.

| Oceanic 70g RR| 1x96watt PC Lighting | 65lbs liverock | 2-4" DSB | Coralife CS125 Skimmer | 29g sump/fuge |
| 10g QT | 15watt light | Proquatics power filter | MaxiJet 900 PH |
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
My guess is that it is diatoms and it will burn itself out shortly. No worries. Before adding the rest of the LS, try to remove most of the CC. The sand will just end up settling to the bottom leaving the CC on top. Keep up on the water changes to help the damsels out. It will porlong your cycle but will be easier on the fish. Good luck
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send $10 to everyone on the forum and you will be forgiven. I would not worry about the diatoms. It will go away on its own. As Maximo said. Be sure to do plenty of water changes.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:15 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree. Diatoms. One they they will be there, and then over the course of a few hours, they'll dissapear.

Besides being unsightly, they are no harm to the fish and nothing you do in your tank will get rid of them until there is enough chompy bacteria to munch them away.

Best of luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
New tank syndrome. Watch your levels, do PWC as needed.
37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Why so much sand??? that will be 55 lbs ina 29?? Like lando says the cc is no good and unless you really like a real deep sand bed i would not add another 20 lbs. I would spend some more money on LR , another 20 lbs of that would be more helpful then sand.

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com