brown stuff all over live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattt6511

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, i started my new 29 gallon sw tank a little over a week ago, 15lbs crushed coral base, 20 lbs of aruglive live sand "im putting 20 more pounds of argulive live sand this friday on" and only about 5lbs live rock, and iv had it running "cycling" with 4 damsels, i know i know, im going to hell NEVER CYCLE WITH FISH.... i feel bad but iv already started.. anyhow i have a thin layer of brown algea looking stuff ALLL over completly covering my sand... My equipment is the following, basic florescent lamp, penguin 350 biowheel filter, 100w heater..

my guess diatom algea, but, withough a good light, will it go away?????? or am i doomed for life, thank you!
ps im sorry im cycling with the damsels i know it was wrong. :-( please forgive me.

i know i know, im going to hell NEVER CYCLE WITH FISH....
:lol: You have come to the right place my friend.

How long are you running your lights each day? Make sure you do frequent water changes if you are going to cycle this way so the little buggers have a chance to live.

-E

My guess is that it is diatoms and it will burn itself out shortly. No worries. Before adding the rest of the LS, try to remove most of the CC. The sand will just end up settling to the bottom leaving the CC on top. Keep up on the water changes to help the damsels out. It will porlong your cycle but will be easier on the fish. Good luck

Send $10 to everyone on the forum and you will be forgiven. :) I would not worry about the diatoms. It will go away on its own. As Maximo said. Be sure to do plenty of water changes.

I agree. Diatoms. One they they will be there, and then over the course of a few hours, they'll dissapear.

Besides being unsightly, they are no harm to the fish and nothing you do in your tank will get rid of them until there is enough chompy bacteria to munch them away.

Best of luck.

Why so much sand??? that will be 55 lbs ina 29?? Like lando says the cc is no good and unless you really like a real deep sand bed i would not add another 20 lbs. I would spend some more money on LR , another 20 lbs of that would be more helpful then sand.

Back
Top Bottom