Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2005, 11:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
If your picking up .01 then there is probably more PO4 in there.
Brown algae (diatom) is not hair like and is frequent with new tanks.
Your saying you have hair like algae right!!
I was reading and the bubbles in the HA can mean that it is dieing off and is breaking down. I would yank as much out of the tank by hand as you can and try and keep an eye on the PO4 level. If it starts going up you need to figure out where its coming from.
Have you checked the top off water?
I know the phosphate is in the source RO water, I measured it from there... I know what diatom is, went through that with my first tank on the cycle and this is not the same thing - this is definately hairy growth, some brown, some green. It is not consuming the tank, just growing on the rear glass (I scrape the front glass) and on the rocks (typically green hairlike on the rocks).

I'll try to pull off the dying algae, maybe my RO system needs a new membrane or filter(s)....

Old 10-13-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your picking up PO4 in the top off water then you need to do something to bring it down to 0. From what I have read if I remember right a RO unit will not remove all PO4 so I think your going to have to add another housing for DI.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is puzzling me is that on my old tank, a 37g FOWLR, I never had these algae problems, and the tank was in the same place as the newer 90g. The same water source has been used all along - the only major diff is that my new tank has 54wX4 T5s... but I will also go the route of DI to see if that helps.

BTW since I started this topic the algae - which I'll now call hair algae - is growing all over the rocks taller than before. I need to nip this in the bud before it takes over my tank.

Tags
algae, bubble, bubbles, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com