Bruise on Longnose Butterfly???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdrake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed a brownish spot on my LNB yesterday and today it is a little more pronounced. Any idea of what it may be and what can I do for it? The fish finds refuge in the rockwork and only comes out when he thinks I am going to feed the tank. I will attach an image for you to see.

TIA

Attachments

• bf.jpg
    bf.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for the reply, will do a WC ASAP. No QT established.
How much of a WC should I do? 10-15%??

Read the article and checked pH and it was at 8.2

Anything else I should try?

Do about 20% water changes with well aged/aerated SW every second day for a week. You should notice the redish area abate at the very least. If you see no improvement you will need to QT and treat with an anitbiotic. Preferabley nitrofuazone based @ 30 mg/gal for 3-5 days. If not that then Maracyn II at double the dose daily for seven days.

Don't forget the vitamins.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks again. Will start with a WC tomorrow after SW has aerated.

On a side note, I have 30 gal with nothing in it. How long would it take to set it up for a QT. Do I need LR or anything in the tank or will just H20 and a pump do the trick

A 30 gal would work very well. You will need a heater, powerhead and/or HOB filter, PVC elbows and the like for hiding and something to prevent jumping. Eggcrate works well. A light is not required or recommended.

Since you will be/may need to treat with an antibiotic, cycling will be unimportant as the med will destroy the biofilter. Fill the QT with the water from the main to match parameters as close as possible and not stress the fish further. Corral with a plastic container instead of a net if at all possible. You will need to monitor water conditions for NH3 and such so be prepared with extra SW for water changes. As much as 2x daily may be needed. Don't forget to add the appropriate amount of med for the water that's removed at each water change.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom