Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

Yes, I agree. If you have a massive filtration system, you can feed more. Especially with a algae scrubber like mine. But in smaller systems, you really need to control food intake. If you are feeding home brew mash, it is loaded with protein, so a little goes a long way. Rule of thumb is that the herbivores need to browse constantly to get enough to eat, but the omnivores and carnivores only get an occasional snack in the wild. So more nori sheets, less protein.
Well I'm sure that will help me with my algae then. But do clownfish, shrimp, or cardinal fish eat nori?
__________________

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

Well I'm sure that will help me with my algae then. But do clownfish, shrimp, or cardinal fish eat nori?
They nibble at it, but even they don't need to eat but 2-3 times a week. Especially when your tank gets older, they will find some stuff to eat on the reef itself.
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Reeffanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa canada
Posts: 380
I feed every other day. Just a pinch of flakes. Maybe 20-25 flakes and a smaller pinch of brine I have 4 clowns 4 chromis 2 tangs cleaner wrasse and a dottyback there is also a bag of macro hanging where the tangs can nibble at it all the time.
__________________
Reeffanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeffanman
I feed every other day. Just a pinch of flakes. Maybe 20-25 flakes and a smaller pinch of brine I have 4 clowns 4 chromis 2 tangs cleaner wrasse and a dottyback there is also a bag of macro hanging where the tangs can nibble at it all the time.
Oh alright, I can start doing that definitely.

Just found out my skimmer isn't working, bubbles aren't pumping out which means something is clogged. It will be tons of fun getting it out of the tank..
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Check the airflow inlet, there is usually a restriction in them that clogs with salt.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Check the airflow inlet, there is usually a restriction in them that clogs with salt.
i blew in it a while ago. its pushes out bubbles, but its hard for me to blow in it.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

i blew in it a while ago. its pushes out bubbles, but its hard for me to blow in it.
I ended up replacing my airline completely since its so cheap but try taking it off and blowing RO water thru it with a syringe.
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

I ended up replacing my airline completely since its so cheap but try taking it off and blowing RO water thru it with a syringe.
Alright I'll try that thanks. I'm thinking its closer to the base of the skimmer, but Idk. I'll look at it tomorrow, I'm completely drained lol.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

Alright I'll try that thanks. I'm thinking its closer to the base of the skimmer, but Idk. I'll look at it tomorrow, I'm completely drained lol.
I run hot ro thru skimmer airhose it helps get the clogs out real well
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

I run hot ro thru skimmer airhose it helps get the clogs out real well
Sometimes they are hard as rock and I have had to resort to a toothpick.
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
psi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.