bryopsis or hair algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
I have a small spot of algae in my reef tank, and I am not sure if thid is hair algae or bryopsis. It almost looks like it might be kind of feathery, but Im just not sure.
It is currenly only one 1 rock, no where else.
Nitrates are testing at zero and phosphates are zero to .25. API tests. alk 8.5, calcium 400, and mag is off the charts (from what I can best tell, its about 3000) using red sea tests.
I have a skimmer and run chemipure elite and purigen.
Can anyone ID this for me so I know what I am dealing with? Since it is only on the 1 rock, should I consider just remvong this rock completely?

Any advice appreciated

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140317_204459.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140317_204459.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 178
Had this stuff about a month after my lights fell into my tank and shocked everything. After trying to get rid of it by scrubbing with a toothbrush for like 4 water changes, I decided to just see if I could wait It out. Nothing happened. Then I got some turbo snails and places them on the algae spot, next few days my tank was spotless. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395111400.939937.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395111421.475583.jpg

I don't know if you can see the difference. I deleted most of my algae pictures because I never want to be reminded of how ****** my tank looked. Best of luck!

That look like saltwater green hair algae.

This is not bad to have few spots of them, it means there's a bit NO3/PO4 to consume into the water. Anyways your corals like trace of NO3 and PO4. If you find they're growing in a ugly spot, just scrub the "bad ones" with a cheap toothbrush. That's what I do, and they grow back behing the reef, so it doesn't bother aesthetic.

Bryopsis IS hair algae. Bryopsis is a general name for many types of hair-like algae. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it really starts spreading.

Thanks X.
So far, it has not seemed to spread any, so I will just keep an eye on it and try not to stress unless it starts spreading.

Back
Top Bottom