BTA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up this really bleached Bta at petco for a good price in hopes of saving it. It kinda hides in the rock anyone know why this is its been about 2 weeks. When I try to feed him or touch him he retracts. I have a four bulb t5 ho fixture on a 29 so thats not the prob. Tanks been running almost 8mo. He anchored almost right away so maybe hes still getting used to things? IT looks more like bubble coral lol.

Attachments

• _DSC5561.jpg
    _DSC5561.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 92
BTA are never white, it looks like it has lost all its zooxanthellae, the only way it will recover is with the proper lighting and pristine, stable water conditions, and even then it will be a uphill battle

Holygral said:
BTA are never white, it looks like it has lost all its zooxanthellae, the only way it will recover is with the proper lighting and pristine, stable water conditions, and even then it will be a uphill battle

Yep. Has it always been this white since you've had it? If so id say it probably a good signs not doing worse or dead by now but, i would try feeding a small amount. Without it zooxanthellae its not able to produce its own energy through photosynthesis.

Im not sure as bleached as it is that T5 are going to be strong enough, My 3 RBTA set 10 inches under 2x 250 MH, many will argue but I think nems need MH, especially if they are bleached. Good luck

Sniperhank said:
I dont think 4 bulb t5 is enough for a nem. I tried it and failed. I keep 2 bta and a carpet under leds. A 6 or 8 t5 would be best for t5.

Yeah a 4 bulb might not cut it, especially with a nem this bleached already. If the nem stays in top half of tank you might be ok. However down low its probably not gonna fair too well.

ITs defiantly getting better not worse it was severely bleached when I got it. The picture makes him look more bleached than he is. Im gonna see how he dose his base is browner than his tentacles.

bigben2057 said:
ITs defiantly getting better not worse it was severely bleached when I got it. The picture makes him look more bleached than he is. Im gonna see how he dose his base is browner than his tentacles.

Well if he's gained some color then thats a good sign.

I've had a BTA as bleached as that and brought it fully back. It did take a few months though, and once he was happy he would come all the way out and not hiding in the rock looking like a bubble coral like that.

Back
Top Bottom