Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i was always told that overfeeding an anemone is stressful for the anemone. they get very little food in the wild. while target feeding nourishes them, it also forces them to expend a lot of energy digesting the large amount of food. i can show you people that never feed their anemones who are also successful in keeping them.
i'm glad it worked out for you.

btw, isn't that green bubble tip on the sand bed in the pic?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The great thing about our hobby (addiction) is that everyone has an opinion and certainly different things work for different people. You are absolutely correct that there are probably more who don't feed than do. Mine were both sickly when I got them and I was forced to feed them to get them healthy. I have been feeding them both a couple times a week ever since. There are numerous times where they simply won't take the food or only take part of it and leave the rest go. The only thing I have to go on is that both have grown like crazy the way I do it. Actually there is a rock under the bubble, he just covers it up. I've actually thought of finding some more flat rock to put around it to see if he will extend himself even further. Right now he is extending further to the sides and up than he is out into the tank because he won't go beyond the rock.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #23

The funny thing is that after reading this thread i went to check out the nem and even though it looks like part of it is on the sand its really not. It lifts itself off the bottom with its tenticles hanging over just skimming the sand. It shrunk and expanded twice. Almost thought it had vanished. And it spews out slime that the clowns eat. It also appears that it is getting some of its brownish color back. Will post a pick tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:19 AM   #24

My condy didnt move the first several weeks I had it, then it moved about once per week, gradually going around the rock work, lately its been moving almost daily.

its really weird when it drops into ints foot and all you see is an orange bag. fully open its about 8" around

i feed it krill, 1/2 piece 2x per week or so, seems to be doing good with that.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BTAs are pretty funny creatures. Usually I don't target feed mine. Maybe about once every two weeks I will make sure to give an extra squirt of food from a turkey baster its way. The cleaner shrimp will steal the food from it and that freaks out the nem for a while. Because of that it is pretty stressful on it to target feed -- in my case.

Once they find a spot they like they usually don't ever move. They will expand and contract a lot during the day and as the photo period of the lights change (assuming you run the actinics and regular bulbs on separate cycles).
Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

here's one of the rose bubbles i've kept. no rock under him. he stayed at the base of the rock work touching the sand. as a matter of fact, his foot was connected to the bottom of the tank.

here's a maroon with another rbta, also on the sand bed. same thing- foot attached to the bottom pane of the tank.

anemones don't typically emit slime. it's definitely a sign of stress.
i've kept a couple hundred anemones of various types. some for a couple weeks, some for a year. some of them move multiple times, and some of them will stay in the same place for 6 months then move. i really don't think it's the kind of thing that you can count on.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

My Haitian anemone will sometimes emit a brown slime from the mouth that seems like poop and and then open back up beautifully, I've heard a few peoples do this. I've had mine for about 6 or 7 months.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, with anemones, zoas, and shrooms, there is just one way in for food an one way out for waste.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

brown stuff coming out of it is waste, but i'm picturing a clear slime. did i misread something?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizerBunoi View Post
I only experience the slime off put after it feeds. It releases the slime with some uneaten food that it could not digest.
this is not the brown digested matter we're talking about. that happens much later than feeding time.

Tags
bta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com