Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

BTA advice

Got a BTA a couple of days ago after the first day it decided to place it self in a overhang of a large rock. The problem is that its upside down and really gets into the overhang during the day. At night when the lights go out it comes out and expands triple in size. I figured it would move once the lights come on. But going on my third day and still no movement. Should i wait to see if it moves on its own or try to move it myself? How am i suppose to feed it upside down? Here is a pic of when i first put it in. Will put up a pick of where it placed itself later.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
is that almost transparent? it appears a little bleached. all of the green bubble tips i have kept have not liked super strong lighting.
how does it behave when you just have the actinics only? it may be getting acclimated to the new lighting. most of them are in little to no light at all from the time they are collected to the time you get them.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Also they like to shade their foot. When I had one it would hide in a crevice and then swing the body out in the open. I`m sure you`s is doing the same also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Here is an updated pic. I tried the antinic lights for about three hours, still no change.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, you can't do much about it's position right now. i would just wait and see. it should reach around that rock to catch light as it gets acclimated.
i would feed it a couple times a week with a pea sized amount of meaty foods. a small piece of raw shrimp or fish from the supermarket is fine.
you can reach right in and touch it's tentacles with a piece of food and it should take it in.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomisboy View Post
Got a BTA a couple of days ago after the first day it decided to place it self in a overhang of a large rock. The problem is that its upside down and really gets into the overhang during the day. At night when the lights go out it comes out and expands triple in size. I figured it would move once the lights come on. But going on my third day and still no movement. Should i wait to see if it moves on its own or try to move it myself? How am i suppose to feed it upside down? Here is a pic of when i first put it in. Will put up a pick of where it placed itself later.

I don't advise attempting to move a nem unless you either A) have a lot of previous experience with nems or B) are willing to accept a potential loss while getting some experience with nems : ) what you are seeing is very normal light acclimation. Don't rush to feeding, poking, prodding or otherwise jackin' with your new nem. It may settle where it is and never move again and it may move nearly every day, the nem gets to determine that. It did look a little bleached so after a week or so, you could try a small piece of silver side while it's 'inflated'. Never force food into a nem, if it's ready, the food will 'stick' to the nems tentacles and nature will tame it's course from there. Best of luck, hope you will post updates in the coming weeks.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was lucky with my bta as it stayed where I put it. They like to be under the water flow so that they can collect food. It will eventually gain its color again. If you start to see its foot dissolving then you have a problem. Don't confuse this with slime as they normally produce slime.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i've never seen a bubble tip produce slime. when is it supposed to do this and why?
Old 11-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I only experience the slime off put after it feeds. It releases the slime with some uneaten food that it could not digest. My bta has always done this and is very healthy. Then again, I never had another one and don't know how others behave. Also I feed it once to twice a week.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think you might be overfeeding it then. pea sized pieces?

Tags
bta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com