Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

BTA anemone closed when lights on, opens when off?

40gallon Breeder, so it's only like 16" deep.
2x96watt PC lighting with AHSupply reflectors - 1x10,000K and 1xActinic03

Currently I've had the BTA 7 days, almost to the hour. I'm running my lights opposite real life daytime, to reduce tank heat and keep a more consistent temp. So actinic on about now, and then the 10k comes on about 90 mins later. They turn off about 8am.

When I get up at 6am, the BTA is all shriveled up backing into his rock crevice. when I get home at 5pm, the tank's dark and he's all spread out and inflated (but still looks bleached out, is supposed to be a rose BTA, but I suspect it's just a standard BTA with rose tips...or he's super bleached out).

Now here's the kicker...the tank faces East, but the south wall of the room has 3 windows, with thin fabric curtains, so lots of diffused sunlight all afternoon.

Attached photo shows him Sunday, after lights were on all night. He looks like this every day.

Is my BTA dying?
Is it responding to the sunlight, and not my PC lighting?
Is it just still acclimating?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bta_bad.jpg (34.3 KB, 455 views)

Old 06-15-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
When I get up at 6am, the BTA is all shriveled up backing into his rock crevice.
My BTA's will do that anticipating lights out.
Quote:
it's just a standard BTA with rose tips...or he's super bleached out).
I would suspect it's the latter of the two from the pic I saw. I never saw one w/ just rose bulbs/tips like yours has.
Quote:
Is it just still acclimating?
That is what I suspect-it looks some what stressed. You do have a good amount of light especially when considering the tank is only 16" tall. Being bleached, combined w/ being exposed to proper light levels now= stress. Try target feeding w/ very small pieces of shrimp/krill,etc once a week or so to get the zooxanthellae back. My BTA bleached, split, and shriveled when I went w/ MH lighting. If I did not start target feedings it would have been a gonner IMO. The improvement was almost immediate. Within 2 days after being feed, it started turning brown again. HTH, good luck.

Old 06-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Later I was planning to get a BTA but I have mh lighting. So I guess I will have trouble with it????
Old 06-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
Later I was planning to get a BTA but I have mh lighting. So I guess I will have trouble with it????
Not necessarily. That depends on a few things ie. the type of lighting it is accustomed to, if it is already stressed from handling etc., and how it is light acclimated in your tank. FWIW, I have no problems w/ my BTA's now-both survived the MH upgrade.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
I introduced my BTA when I had MH too. I put him it and set the MH to increase one hour each day. I started at 0 and worked to 7. The BTA looked the same way Malkore's does for a week or two, but now looks much better.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

well I forgot to mention that my bulbs are 11 months old, but I'm not having algae issues, and my corals are all looking great.

here's a pic of him at 'night' with the lights flipped on for a second so the photo would turn out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bta_good.jpg (32.9 KB, 367 views)
Old 06-15-2005, 10:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is definitely bleached, it should not be clear. It doesn't look too bad overall though. I doubt the bulb age is an issue as of now. In fact if you did replace them now it MAY stress the anemone even more. Have you tried target feeding it? Will it accept food? That was the key for mine as I said- though the circumstances were a bit different.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got this jar of Sweetwater ZooPlankton Fish Food at the advice of my LFS. Took about 1ml of it and squirted it directly into the mouth area, with powerheads off. It did seem to eat, but my cleaner shrimp was also up in there.

Are you thinking maybe the light is a bit strong right now, and simply still acclimating?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Feed it some silversides or a small piece of shrimp it will be easier for the anemone to close up on and hold onto. I feed my bta shrimp chunks small enought for them to eat. It sounds like it is still adjusting to the reverse lighting only time will tell. Looks like a rose bta to me just lost its color for some reason.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

well he was inflated and mostly open when I got up this morning, near 'dusk' in the tank. Maybe he's finally adjusting.

Tags
anemone, bta, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com