Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2014, 01:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389332663.421133.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	215969

Here is a pic of my bubble tip so you can see what a healthy one looks like. Not necessarily this color but you can see that it has color.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
98watts of what sort of lighting and how big is the tank? Wattage isn't really the way to go with lights it's more about PAR. 98watts of t12 lighting is far from comparable to 98watts of led or metal halide lighting. To keep an anemone you need strong lights and stable clean water. Don't give up on the nem yet either, like mr x said it isn't a death sentence yet. Watch it and see how it is fairing and if it starts melting then remove it. The fact that it's in the rock isn't bad either as mine is stuck in a rock. Being as it's opened up somewhat with tentacles sticking out of the hole is a good sign that it's acclimating to your tank. Just remember you will need to feed it also, not to much either. I generally give my nem a few pieces of plankton once a week. If you did that every 2-3 days you should be fine. Or hit the local super market and get some frozen shrimp (uncooked) and feed a small piece of one of those.
I have 2 corallight fixtures.
One is a T5 Dual and the other is a T5HO Dual

Alright, I guess I'll let him be. I bought a turkey baster and i filled it up with mysis shrimp and shot it at him but I feel like his mouth is in between the rock =/
(By the way, I have pellets,flakes,bloodworms, and mysis shrimp. What do you guys suggest I use?)

Quote:
Attachment 215969

Here is a pic of my bubble tip so you can see what a healthy one looks like. Not necessarily this color but you can see that it has color.
Yeah =/ Mine doesn't look like that

Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Give it time and hopefully it will recover. Honestly you could feed it anything you have but I would lean more towards the mysis. A varied diet likely won't hurt just don't over feed. Honestly if you thaw out some mysis and give the anemone 6-7 pieces of it that would be good. Don't throw a whole cube in there, feed what the fish can eat in a minute plus the little but for the anemone and that's it. Overfeeding will cause nitrate and phosphate levels to increase which will lead to additional stress on the anemone as well as increased algae growth.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Give it time and hopefully it will recover. Honestly you could feed it anything you have but I would lean more towards the mysis. A varied diet likely won't hurt just don't over feed. Honestly if you thaw out some mysis and give the anemone 6-7 pieces of it that would be good. Don't throw a whole cube in there, feed what the fish can eat in a minute plus the little but for the anemone and that's it. Overfeeding will cause nitrate and phosphate levels to increase which will lead to additional stress on the anemone as well as increased algae growth.
What are the chances of it recovering. :/ do you know what color it might turn out to be?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't your tank just set up? Or are we talking about 2 different tanks? Nems need extremely stable pristine water conditions. They really should be tried until at least a year. Are you using RODI, that nems is severely bleached and and they can sometimes be brought back but like I said it takes extremely stable pristine water conditions and high end lighting. And I do not believe you have the proper lighting to do that.

Whith that said:

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Attachment 215969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't your tank just set up? Or are we talking about 2 different tanks? Nems need extremely stable pristine water conditions. They really should be tried until at least a year. Are you using RODI, that nems is severely bleached and and they can sometimes be brought back but like I said it takes extremely stable pristine water conditions and high end lighting. And I do not believe you have the proper lighting to do that.

Whith that said:

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.
I believe my tank is now properly lit as I now have 98 watts. 2 bulbs are t5HO and the other 2 are T5.

I do use rodi water. and I just went out and got a turkey baster do direct feed the anemone mysis shrimp
Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Without using rodi, water you really will not be able to save it in my opinion. Tap water is loaded with chemicals, fertilizers, copper and other heavy metals, a nem is 95% water so that is what your already unhealthy bleached nem is filled with. Tap water is the biggest mistake a reefer can make, I would take the nem back and spend that money on a rodi unit.

Nems:

URL=http://s282.photobucket.com/user/Holygral/media/IMG_3772_zpsa292dd3c.jpg.html][/URL]
Old 01-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

My nem was completely bleached out when I got it. I beleave it's the same kinda nem you got. I nursed it back with uncooked shrimp and small pieces of silver side here it is now with most of his color back and it was whiter than yoursClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389375263.502914.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	216004

Tags
bta, torn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com