Bta being torn! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dgameman1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought an Bubble Tip Anemone today and at first, it wasn't sticking to anything =/.

Only one of it's feet was sticky =/

I finally got him to hold onto a live rock and I went back to look at him and it looks like he's tearing himself apart!!!

Uploading pictures as we speak!

I'm an idiot. I got a closer look and he just looks like he's stuck and can't fully open up :p

AkuJTxO.jpg

How did you acclimate it? This nem looks worse than the other one you posted about a couple of days ago. Did you upgrade your lighting? How are your parameters?

How did you acclimate it? This nem looks worse than the other one you posted about a couple of days ago. Did you upgrade your lighting? How are your parameters?

Wait seriously? I thought that if anything, this one is doing better. It's actually all bubbled up and opened and the mouth isn't gaped open =o

I floated it on top in the bag for 25 minutes and then picked him up and put him on a rock.

When I went into my LFS, I told them about what you said about all the lighting. They said it's fine because my tank is shallow. I believe the height of my tank is 18.75 Inches.

Everything is 0'd. My Salinity is 1.025 and my ph is somewhere inbetween 8.0 and 8.5

Nems are sensitive inverts - you shouldn't acclimate like that, you need to acclimate them to your tank water, not just temp. For nems I usually do 2 hours. I once tested the salinity of my LFS water and it was 0.21 my tank is usually 0.26 nems cannot tolerate swings in parameters particularly salinity. This is why people say to wait before trying them - new tanks parameters swing a lot, they just do. I still think your lighting is inadequate. Keep an eye on it, don't move it and keep testing your water. When I first set up my tank I kept a log book of all my water readings, that way you can tell what swings and try and keep it stable.

The reason I think it look worse is no bubble tip comes in white, so this guy is already in bad shape before you dropped it in your tank :(

A 19" tank is not shallow IMO. 12" is shallow. I'd upgrade your lights ASAP and stop taking advice from this shop.

I have to agree with the two post right above me here. That nem doesn't look good, it's what is called "bleached" meaning that it has expelled all it's symbiotic algae zooxanthlae. This is what gives a coral or anemone it's colour. This happens when the animal is kept in an unsuitable environment which causes stress. A bleached out nem is usually on its way to the reef in the sky, though it may be saved. Without the zooxanthlae it will not be getting the nutrition the algae provides so you will need to feed it till it recovers it's color. This is not guaranteed to work and if you see the nem starting to shrink and melt you need to remove it from the tank to avoid polluting your water. The algae will also be more likely to grow back if you keep it under adequate lighting. Not entirely sure what lighting you have but from the look of the pictures above it's not enough.

I have had plenty of bleached anemones come in and have nursed them back to health. The zooxanthellae are what feed the anemone when lighting is optimal. In time they will repopulate it and you won't need to spot feed it. In the meantime, I would be feeding it (small bits of food) every few days.
The splitting is another issue. Anemones split when they are stressed. What are your current parameters?

Ugh. This is so upsetting =/

I was wrong about the Anemone splitting, it looks like it's doing fine although it's kinda just sitting in the middle of a rock, with both sides sticking out http://i.imgur.com/lHGT9u8.jpg

The fact that you're telling me they don't come in white is really upsetting because I guess he is dying then although he doesn't look bubbled up and seems to be sticking quite nicely now.

I went and upgraded my lights. I now have 98 watts on my tank. 2, 10k bulbs, and 2, actinic bulbs.

I guess this shop really is a no,go then =/

98watts of what sort of lighting and how big is the tank? Wattage isn't really the way to go with lights it's more about PAR. 98watts of t12 lighting is far from comparable to 98watts of led or metal halide lighting. To keep an anemone you need strong lights and stable clean water. Don't give up on the nem yet either, like mr x said it isn't a death sentence yet. Watch it and see how it is fairing and if it starts melting then remove it. The fact that it's in the rock isn't bad either as mine is stuck in a rock. Being as it's opened up somewhat with tentacles sticking out of the hole is a good sign that it's acclimating to your tank. Just remember you will need to feed it also, not to much either. I generally give my nem a few pieces of plankton once a week. If you did that every 2-3 days you should be fine. Or hit the local super market and get some frozen shrimp (uncooked) and feed a small piece of one of those.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389332663.421133.jpg

Here is a pic of my bubble tip so you can see what a healthy one looks like. Not necessarily this color but you can see that it has color.

98watts of what sort of lighting and how big is the tank? Wattage isn't really the way to go with lights it's more about PAR. 98watts of t12 lighting is far from comparable to 98watts of led or metal halide lighting. To keep an anemone you need strong lights and stable clean water. Don't give up on the nem yet either, like mr x said it isn't a death sentence yet. Watch it and see how it is fairing and if it starts melting then remove it. The fact that it's in the rock isn't bad either as mine is stuck in a rock. Being as it's opened up somewhat with tentacles sticking out of the hole is a good sign that it's acclimating to your tank. Just remember you will need to feed it also, not to much either. I generally give my nem a few pieces of plankton once a week. If you did that every 2-3 days you should be fine. Or hit the local super market and get some frozen shrimp (uncooked) and feed a small piece of one of those.

I have 2 corallight fixtures.
One is a T5 Dual and the other is a T5HO Dual

Alright, I guess I'll let him be. I bought a turkey baster and i filled it up with mysis shrimp and shot it at him but I feel like his mouth is in between the rock =/
(By the way, I have pellets,flakes,bloodworms, and mysis shrimp. What do you guys suggest I use?)

View attachment 215969

Here is a pic of my bubble tip so you can see what a healthy one looks like. Not necessarily this color but you can see that it has color.

Yeah =/ Mine doesn't look like that :(

Give it time and hopefully it will recover. Honestly you could feed it anything you have but I would lean more towards the mysis. A varied diet likely won't hurt just don't over feed. Honestly if you thaw out some mysis and give the anemone 6-7 pieces of it that would be good. Don't throw a whole cube in there, feed what the fish can eat in a minute plus the little but for the anemone and that's it. Overfeeding will cause nitrate and phosphate levels to increase which will lead to additional stress on the anemone as well as increased algae growth.

Give it time and hopefully it will recover. Honestly you could feed it anything you have but I would lean more towards the mysis. A varied diet likely won't hurt just don't over feed. Honestly if you thaw out some mysis and give the anemone 6-7 pieces of it that would be good. Don't throw a whole cube in there, feed what the fish can eat in a minute plus the little but for the anemone and that's it. Overfeeding will cause nitrate and phosphate levels to increase which will lead to additional stress on the anemone as well as increased algae growth.

What are the chances of it recovering. :/ do you know what color it might turn out to be?

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't your tank just set up? Or are we talking about 2 different tanks? Nems need extremely stable pristine water conditions. They really should be tried until at least a year. Are you using RODI, that nems is severely bleached and and they can sometimes be brought back but like I said it takes extremely stable pristine water conditions and high end lighting. And I do not believe you have the proper lighting to do that.

Whith that said:

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.

View attachment 215969

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't your tank just set up? Or are we talking about 2 different tanks? Nems need extremely stable pristine water conditions. They really should be tried until at least a year. Are you using RODI, that nems is severely bleached and and they can sometimes be brought back but like I said it takes extremely stable pristine water conditions and high end lighting. And I do not believe you have the proper lighting to do that.

Whith that said:

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.

I believe my tank is now properly lit as I now have 98 watts. 2 bulbs are t5HO and the other 2 are T5.

I do use rodi water. and I just went out and got a turkey baster do direct feed the anemone mysis shrimp

Without using rodi, water you really will not be able to save it in my opinion. Tap water is loaded with chemicals, fertilizers, copper and other heavy metals, a nem is 95% water so that is what your already unhealthy bleached nem is filled with. Tap water is the biggest mistake a reefer can make, I would take the nem back and spend that money on a rodi unit.

Nems:

URL=http://s282.photobucket.com/user/Holygral/media/IMG_3772_zpsa292dd3c.jpg.html]
img_2785572_0_d94c25241f00ee8f6cd0e83039fa611f.jpg
[/URL]

My nem was completely bleached out when I got it. I beleave it's the same kinda nem you got. I nursed it back with uncooked shrimp and small pieces of silver side here it is now with most of his color back and it was whiter than yoursImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389375263.502914.jpg

Back
Top Bottom