Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bta being torn! Help!

I bought an Bubble Tip Anemone today and at first, it wasn't sticking to anything =/.

Only one of it's feet was sticky =/

I finally got him to hold onto a live rock and I went back to look at him and it looks like he's tearing himself apart!!!

Uploading pictures as we speak!

I'm an idiot. I got a closer look and he just looks like he's stuck and can't fully open up :P

Old 01-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did you acclimate it? This nem looks worse than the other one you posted about a couple of days ago. Did you upgrade your lighting? How are your parameters?

Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
How did you acclimate it? This nem looks worse than the other one you posted about a couple of days ago. Did you upgrade your lighting? How are your parameters?
Wait seriously? I thought that if anything, this one is doing better. It's actually all bubbled up and opened and the mouth isn't gaped open =o

I floated it on top in the bag for 25 minutes and then picked him up and put him on a rock.

When I went into my LFS, I told them about what you said about all the lighting. They said it's fine because my tank is shallow. I believe the height of my tank is 18.75 Inches.

Everything is 0'd. My Salinity is 1.025 and my ph is somewhere inbetween 8.0 and 8.5
Old 01-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nems are sensitive inverts - you shouldn't acclimate like that, you need to acclimate them to your tank water, not just temp. For nems I usually do 2 hours. I once tested the salinity of my LFS water and it was 0.21 my tank is usually 0.26 nems cannot tolerate swings in parameters particularly salinity. This is why people say to wait before trying them - new tanks parameters swing a lot, they just do. I still think your lighting is inadequate. Keep an eye on it, don't move it and keep testing your water. When I first set up my tank I kept a log book of all my water readings, that way you can tell what swings and try and keep it stable.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The reason I think it look worse is no bubble tip comes in white, so this guy is already in bad shape before you dropped it in your tank
Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

A 19" tank is not shallow IMO. 12" is shallow. I'd upgrade your lights ASAP and stop taking advice from this shop.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Bta being torn! Help!

I have to agree with the two post right above me here. That nem doesn't look good, it's what is called "bleached" meaning that it has expelled all it's symbiotic algae zooxanthlae. This is what gives a coral or anemone it's colour. This happens when the animal is kept in an unsuitable environment which causes stress. A bleached out nem is usually on its way to the reef in the sky, though it may be saved. Without the zooxanthlae it will not be getting the nutrition the algae provides so you will need to feed it till it recovers it's color. This is not guaranteed to work and if you see the nem starting to shrink and melt you need to remove it from the tank to avoid polluting your water. The algae will also be more likely to grow back if you keep it under adequate lighting. Not entirely sure what lighting you have but from the look of the pictures above it's not enough.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I have had plenty of bleached anemones come in and have nursed them back to health. The zooxanthellae are what feed the anemone when lighting is optimal. In time they will repopulate it and you won't need to spot feed it. In the meantime, I would be feeding it (small bits of food) every few days.
The splitting is another issue. Anemones split when they are stressed. What are your current parameters?
Old 01-10-2014, 01:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ugh. This is so upsetting =/

I was wrong about the Anemone splitting, it looks like it's doing fine although it's kinda just sitting in the middle of a rock, with both sides sticking out http://i.imgur.com/lHGT9u8.jpg

The fact that you're telling me they don't come in white is really upsetting because I guess he is dying then although he doesn't look bubbled up and seems to be sticking quite nicely now.

I went and upgraded my lights. I now have 98 watts on my tank. 2, 10k bulbs, and 2, actinic bulbs.

I guess this shop really is a no,go then =/
Old 01-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
98watts of what sort of lighting and how big is the tank? Wattage isn't really the way to go with lights it's more about PAR. 98watts of t12 lighting is far from comparable to 98watts of led or metal halide lighting. To keep an anemone you need strong lights and stable clean water. Don't give up on the nem yet either, like mr x said it isn't a death sentence yet. Watch it and see how it is fairing and if it starts melting then remove it. The fact that it's in the rock isn't bad either as mine is stuck in a rock. Being as it's opened up somewhat with tentacles sticking out of the hole is a good sign that it's acclimating to your tank. Just remember you will need to feed it also, not to much either. I generally give my nem a few pieces of plankton once a week. If you did that every 2-3 days you should be fine. Or hit the local super market and get some frozen shrimp (uncooked) and feed a small piece of one of those.

Tags
bta, torn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com