Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by PC
Hence I would encourage you to error on the side of too much than too little. If a BTA does not want to eat it will simply drop the food from its tenticles. In that case they are either content or potentially doomed
Some very experienced hobbyist, namely Steve-S a former mod here and extremely knowledgable person(as I'm sure you remember), have told me the exact opposite. I've had a BTA, now it split into 7, and a Sebae for over three years. Overfeeding is not something I would attempt. I've seen negative results from doing it in the past while experimenting, especially w/ the Sebae. JME
Isn't this hobby grand?
Yeah, everything is so upfront. You rarely ever find contradicting info heh... Happy reefing.

MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I don't think any of us said not to feed...I believe what we said was not to target feed...my anemones get plenty of food...they get what is washed to them in the water column much like they would in the wild. In the ocean there isn't some large hand dropping silversides or anything else directly to them...My LTA has nearly doubled in size since I got it and I have not been feeding it...it has gotten food from what is in the tank and the lighting...As for Karen's website I have read just about everything on the site...if you are interested in forcing your BTA to split then by all means feed it, as that will most likely be the result...which isn't always a sign of health....$.02

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well ... im not exactly sure what to do now. I will, though, keep watch over my BTA and cut the target feeding down a bit. I guess i should do some more research on BTAs while im at it. Thanks for all the helpful advice!
Fat_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had BTAs for years and mine have grown large and I maybe feed every other month and small piece of shrimp. My friend never feeds his BTA and they are healthy.
They get enough from the lighting, if you have poor lighting you will need to feed more.
Right now I have 5 in my 125 and they are all large, some have bubbles others don't, some months none have bubbles. My GSM do not feed them much and some they don't feed at all. What I have read no one is sure why they lose there bubbles.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a BTA (my first) two weeks ago. It had been moving a fair bit but now seems to have found a spot. Now that it has settled I have started to target feed with lance fish (probably same as silverfish) as although settled the BTA didn't appear 100%. I have noticed a definite improvement in the appearance of the BTA since feeding. I will continue to feed at least once a week as, in my experience,feeding has been beneficial.

jmccormack is offline   Reply With Quote

bta, feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com