Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2007, 02:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

BTA Feeding

I bought a BTA about a week and a half ago and it seems to be doing great. The first night it found its sweet spot and hasn't moved since. I've been reading that feeding twice a week or when the tenticles get stringy is good ... but i dont know how much to feed them during that time. Ive been feeding it twice a week so far frozen mysid shrimp, but I'm just a little concerned with how much to feed it. Its easy to see when the fish are about done since they slow down a lot after they had their share, but i cant tell if the BTA is getting enough or not.

Any suggestions?
Thanks~

Old 04-14-2007, 02:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get some frozen silver sides. Cut one in into halves or thirds depending on the size of your BTA. (Make sure its thawed) Feed 1 silver side per week. You can bump that up to 2 times a week once it gets to be 6 inches or so. Mine is about 8 inches and I still only feed once a week thoug Im sure it will accept more.

Peace.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of lighting do you have? Anemones will aquire most of their energy from light. FWIW, I have never target fed any of my anemones and they seem to do just fine.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #4

I have a 260w Orbit extreme over a 55g tank. Im not really worried too much about the lighting, just kind of wondering if there is a way to see if its done feeding or not or if it needs more. Anyways, thanks for the advice guys, I probably will keep target feeding it twice a week as long as i don't notice any bad changes in it.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your keeping it w/ fish and good lighting, it will get by w/ no feedings. If you choose to target feed it, beware it can cost more energy to digest food than the anemone receives from it, and cause detriment to it's health. Over feeding is probably worse than under feeding. IMO/IME target feedings of meaty foods, about half the size of a pinky finger nail more or less depending on the anemones size, can be made every couple weeks, or so, w/ good results.HTH
Old 04-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
Over feeding is probably worse than under feeding.
This is very good advice. Many a person has killed their anenome and messed up their tank by overfeeding. Alot of people dont target feed their`s at all and they do good. Feed once a week and you`ll be feeding plenty. Underfeeding + good lighting + what they get from the water column = a healthy BTA. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #7

I did not know that! Maybe i should cut back to once a week then if at all. Should I still go by if the tentacles are stringy then feed it? Right now im feeding my fish twice a day since i almost lost my gold head sleeper goby due to starvation (was very skinny and lethargic). So I'm thinking that maybe i dont need to target feed the BTA at all. Any advice on what i should do to?

On the side note ... the goby is doing great and making his/her way to a full recovery ^^.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Should I still go by if the tentacles are stringy then feed it?
IME/IMO no. I know some websites mention that, but they often lose their bubbles when kept under fluorescent lighting, when hosted by clowns, and sometimes for reasons unapparent/unknown. Stringy tentacles is not a good indication of hunger, in an aquarium at least. Best to feed occasionally IMO. Once or twice a month is plenty when housing them w/ fish.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I totally agree! I have an LTA and a newly aquired carpet anemone and I have not directly fed the LTA and I've had it for about 5 months now. It is doing incredible....I would stop feeding the BTA all together or at the very least drop to 2 feedings a month.....
Old 04-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not to be argumentative, heaven knows thats not like me, but if you don't feed it thats the demarcation of a potentially long...slow decline. As for the tenticles I can only speak for my BTA. My experience has been that the longer between feedings the more the tenticles deflate. (Stringy) When fed the proper amount of food they do return to their bubble state even though there is a female clown actively hosting in it. They may not look like the nifty promo pics on vendors websites but you can see a difference. Coloration is a lot brighter in my experience with fed vs starving. My green BTA was practically brown though it sat in the same spot for nearly 6 months under MH lighting (With no feeding). I began doing research and silver sides seemed to be the predominately preferred food. After only 2 months of feeding, the BTA has at least doubled in size and is now a beautiful flourescent green again.

Please take a look at http://www.karensroseanemones.com/index.htm While the site may put you off a little at first it does offer some seemingly extensive experience with BTAs specifically. Whatever you decide monitor the BTA as you would any other animal in your care and adjust accordingly. The only additional advice I can offer is that time and time again reading about others experience with BTAs is that they decline in a hurry once they succumb to their condition(s). Hence I would encourage you to error on the side of too much than too little. If a BTA does not want to eat it will simply drop the food from its tenticles. In that case they are either content or potentially doomed. Isn't this hobby grand?

Peace.

Tags
bta, feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com