BTA lost its colour and going grey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy71uk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys , Had BTA for awhile and it was on the move alot so obviously had not settled . Then it seemed to find a spot it liked and hasnt moved as of yet but its gone from green to grey even tho it is feeding . I feed 1 prawn a week? is this enough? should i be feeding something else?

Thanx in advance

I wouldn't feed the anemone, it isn't necessary. It actually can take more energy for an anemone to process food than it gets from it. The issue is lighting. What is the size of the tank and lighting over it?

I wouldn't feed the anemone, it isn't necessary. It actually can take more energy for an anemone to process food than it gets from it. The issue is lighting. What is the size of the tank and lighting over it?

Its good to target feed your anemone if you don't have a anemone fish hosting it. If the anemone isn't hungry it will spit it out

Its good to target feed your anemone if you don't have a anemone fish hosting it. If the anemone isn't hungry it will spit it out

Not one that is bleaching and struggling to survive. It can push it further beyond help. For something that isn't needed to begin with, doesn't make sense. Can you? Yes. But this sounds like a need for stronger light source to bring this guy back. We want it to survive, not bleach further by adding the stress of processing food.

Not one that is bleaching and struggling to survive. It can push it further beyond help. For something that isn't needed to begin with, doesn't make sense. Can you? Yes. But this sounds like a need for stronger light source to bring this guy back. We want it to survive, not bleach further by adding the stress of processing food.

That sounds like common sense! I'll keep that in mind.

Hi guy and thanks .........its a 4ft light unit hanging approx 6 inches over a 5 ft tank with T5 lights consisting of 2 blues and a white .

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Hi guy and thanks .........its a 4ft light unit hanging approx 6 inches over a 5 ft tank with T5 lights consisting of 2 blues and a white .

Is this t5 or t5ho? Even with ho, I wouldn't try to keep an anemone under less that 4 bulbs. I tried and it didn't work out and usually recommend 6, though people had done it under 4.

my nems were under 2x 250 MH 3 inches off the water surface, Im afraid you do not have the proper lighting

Back
Top Bottom