Bubble Aglae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, Im looking for something beyond best practices here..I have bubble algea in my 29g that seems to be multiplying. It was introduced via a LR purchase from the LFS that has it. At first it was looking like it was going to die off. Then it got kinda healthy and quite honestly, its not a bad looking algae. However, I have begun vacuming it out when I wc and seems to be taking off as it were. No other issues with the tank, params are real good. I know these guys can live in almost complete darkness, so lights out isnt much a help. Stock is only 2 clowns and a couple shrimp in the tank with some snails. Other than picking up a couple mithrax crabs (Death to my shrimp?) any other suggestions?

Thanks!

smaller mithrax crabs may not be a problem. Mine is getting bigger and still can't seem to get at my peppermints.

I have a mithrax crab full grown and it doesn't bother my shrimp(peppermint or skunk) at all. I had a little bit of bubble algea going on from a piece of LR that I got from a lfs but he took care of that really quick.

Crabs are not a great option to get ride of bubble algae. Your best bet is to remove the rock with the algae on it and manually take the algae off. Scrub it in SW before adding it to the tank.

I also ended up getting some bubble algae. Its one the back of a 40 lb rock, I can not get to it by hand or move the rock. With out a half tear down. I was thinking about an emerald. Does he pose a threat to any thing else?

Sorry to interrupt this thread.

I think the jury is still out on the emerald crab but Lando had an excellent solution and one that will work. Scrub that piece of rock. Nothing wrong with getting the crab but dont do it as a bandaid.

Back
Top Bottom