Bubble Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys just started noticing a few "spheres" of algae growing on a few of my rocks. I know bubble algae is a nuicance and want to get rid of it before it takes over. Any suggestions?? would you recommend getting an emerald crab

It's hit or miss IME with emerald crabs doing anything with it. You're right though, you have to get it before it spreads. Remove the bubbles gently (don't pop them or their spores will spread). The come off pretty easily usually when they're small, and the shell is harder than you'd expect if you've never handled it before.

Agree with Neilan. We tried 2 emeralds and neither touched the stuff.

Best is to spot treat it, take it out and use tweezers or something to pry it off the rock. Never EVER "pop" a bubble underwater, and if you can help it don't pop them above water. It will release into the water and spread alllll around your tank. Just chip them off whole and throw them away. Best get it all now, it will spread like wildfire otherwise.

IME the 2 times i tried to remove it....i popped 1....under water....the 2nd one i actually got off. Even though there shells are actually quite dense they dont come off that easy either. Good luck and do it very slowly without much pressue. I didnt see any spread after really. I have some now and well im quite scared to try again,,

If you go at it with a siphon tube, or a hard plastic tube on the end of a siphon tube, you can break them and suck the stuff out with the siphon tube. Then get the "skin" with tweezers. As noted in the article melosu58 linked to, if you aren't aggressive with the stuff, it will take over.

quick question on emerald crabs, i have a FOWLR system but would like to add a crab or too. Would i have to buy iodine and all that stuff to take care of crustaceans?

quick question on emerald crabs, i have a FOWLR system but would like to add a crab or too. Would i have to buy iodine and all that stuff to take care of crustaceans?

no not at all. your salt mix will more that take care of your iodine. my shrimp molt about every other time i do a water change. the only threat to a FOWLR tank is the fish you put in there. your crab/shrimp/snails may become a treat.

I too agree. No need to supplement iodine. Your PWC`s will take care of that. How often are you doing them?

Oh and one other thing... SO i would be fine with having a cleaner shrimp or two without any other special equipment?? I think shrimps are very intersting as well

Back
Top Bottom