Bubble Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drinkingbird

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found 1 tiny bubble algae in my tank last night. I've been reading other posts regarding this algae and there seems to be mixed opinions from member AA'ers. Since today is housekeeping day (waterchange & window cleaning), should I leave it alone or remove it?
:? ( Ohhhh, I miss the santa hat emoticons!!!- not ready for the holidays to be over)

I'll be waiting to hear replys too. I had one that grew till it was the size of a small gumball. I noticed it was gone a couple of days ago. :?

I wait until they get big enough to grab, then I grab them and give them a slight twist, and they come right off.

However, they sort of look cool when they get to be the size of a ping-pong ball - some folks just let them be.

Todd

You take your chances of the problem spreading if you leave them. Valonia is best removed when they are still quite small. The smaller they are, the less likely they will be sexually mature enough to spore once broken. If you can remove them intact, they will not be a problem. Usually once they get larger than about ¼", they are mature enough to spore once broken.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve.

PS - My blenny is doing great, the Furacyn worked! I'm going to try for some new fish in about 2 months.

drinkingbird said:
PS - My blenny is doing great, the Furacyn worked! I'm going to try for some new fish in about 2 months.
Great to hear!! (y)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom