Bubble algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so on a peace of coral that i just got from the lfs the guy said that there was a little bubble algae growing. he said that i have to watch it or it will take over the tank. and he also said that i should not pop it. now how much of this is true. if it will take over the tank how can i kill it. is there a crabe or some fish that will eat it or will it just be one of theos things i will have to deal with.

now how much of this is true.

Pretty much all of it. I don't worry about popping them, but some do, the spors are contained in the bubbles, if you pop them you release the spores. I would remove the bubble agae now, outside the tank, then you don't have to worry about it.

how would i remove it? can the leather coral touch air? and if it can do i just cut it off? if it cant just do the same but not in the tank? And my Toadstool leather have one white spot on it. there is no color on that spot. will it regain the color? what cased this. it was not like that before he took it out of the tank. is it going to die?

thank you for your quick response and for your help every one on this site has given he so much help with my new tank.

how would i remove it? can the leather coral touch air? and if it can do i just cut it off? if it cant just do the same but not in the tank?

The leather can touch air, I would pull it out, remove the algae with a pair of needle nose pliars and scrub the area it was on with a new tooth brush.

And my Toadstool leather have one white spot on it. there is no color on that spot. will it regain the color? what cased this. it was not like that before he took it out of the tank. is it going to die?

No idea, it is probably just a place where it was handled a little too roughly, but can't be sure. If it get's bigger or starts to crumble, post back...a pic would be helpful ;)

I keep an emerald mithrax crab in my reef tank, occasionally some bubble algae pops up, but he makes quick work of it. Emeralds can't get enough of it.

I had one growing on a rock and it popped one day. A couple of days later I noticed what I believe was a patch of it starting to grow on another rock at the other end of the tank. My sailfin tang seemed to acquire a taste for it and possibly the clowns too. It was all gone in a couple of days. :D

They will filter feed the water and utilize the byproducts of photosynthesis. They may benefit from occassional target feedings of phytoplankton, but I've never fed any of my leathers.

Sarcophytons (leathers) are prone to bruising when handled. Don't touch the coral if you can help it when you remove the bubble algae. The yellow ones are especially touchy. They are very hardy and will usually recover quickly though.

and how about light and water flow for both of the leathers. toadstool and finger. light water flow? that is what i gave them but the finger leather is reaching towards the outlet from the pump.

Another thing to keep in mind w/ leathers is that, while they are hearty, they can take a while to adjust to their new environment. Even after drip acclimating them, I have had 3 that took up to a week to adjust in ideal conditions.

I just bought a finger leather that is almost 2ft long and has a crown on it that is approx 18inches across. That was 3 days ago...its starting to adjust, but it has yet to extend and open up like it was in the LFS. It just takes time.

Squishy

ok thank you. they both seem to be doing great they have both opened up. i had to move the finger to a lower light area because he was trying to move out of the light. moved him to the bottom of the tank and now is doing vary well. might have to move him up to the top of the rock in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom