Bubble algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
Green bubble algae...I had an outbreak a few years ago when I let my old MH lights get too old. Even though I strip the water with a algae turf scrubber, the green bubble algae hangs on and even multiplies still. As I cannot remove my rock work to scrub it off, I have tried emerald crabs (no help at all) and harvesting them by hand (almost impossible) isn't helping much. The tank is very large and the problem isn't going away. I am considering a Rabbit Fish like a Robin Foxface as I have read good things about them and my tank is plenty big enough for one.

Anyone have anything good to say about rabbit fish?

I'm have no experience with rabbit face fish, but when it comes to removing bubble algae, I usually wait until I am doing a water change. While I am siphoning, I will place my tube over or close to the bubble algae, then pop them.

The suction seems to pull most of the bubble algae juices and stuff up into the tube, then into my dump bucket.

Just a thought :)

If there is a more efficient way, I would like to know also!

I have so many of them from an outbreak over two years ago. I remove them, but they repopulate, even though no other algae plague my tank.
As I want a natural solution, and the emerald crabs didn't work, I was hoping to hear good things about the lowly rabbit fish.

Okay, I got the Rabbit fish. He is pretty large, over 4", and as a result, nothing else in the tank threatens him! Now the experiment begins, will he eat bubble algae?

Emelinda76 said:
Ive got bubble algae in my over flow boxes. Should I remove?

Did you get rid of the algae? I have red algae all over my rocks and can not seem to control without scrubbing weekly. Any ideas.

Emelinda76 said:
Ive got bubble algae in my over flow boxes. Should I remove?

Like mentioned try to remove without popping, try chemi pure elite or other phosphate remover to control algae growth

Reduce the nutrient levels. Less feeding, more water changes, perhaps some phosphate/silica removers like phosban or phosguard. Bad city water can also cause a problem. I finally got rid of my bubble algae by doing everything suggested on this forum at the same time.

Probably not. Where did it come from? If it was full of organics when you got it, that would be a problem. Why it isn't recommended to collect raw seawater from the beach. Properly mixed saltwater from a good mix with pure RO/DI water is what is recommended and what most stores would supply. What we call Red algae (or Cyanobacteria, since it really isn't a algae) is usually formed in low current areas as a result of a bit too much feeding. Happens to me now and again. It goes away, or I siphon it away if it irritates a coral.

Back
Top Bottom