bubble algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been getting some bubble algea and a little hair algae lately which prompted my to test my PO4. I came up with a reading of 0.50-1.00 ppm. I assume this is my problem.
Would running a PO4 sponge effect a cure? Or are there other measures I should be doing like more skimming and cutting back on my feeding. (my fish are pretty fat) :wink:
Thanks in advance

The PO4 sponge would help. But I would look for the cause of the PO4 problem in the first place. Overfeeding definitely will increase the phosphorous level in a tank. Also using tap water, or using water that came out of a RO/DI filter that hasn't had its cartridges replaced in a long time could also be a culprit.

I use r/o water, but ya its been a while...ok never have replaced the filters. 8O Will do that. Also I have read that Instant Ocean is not the best, would a salt change help as well, if so what brand is best??
Tnx

There have been alot of folks raving over the new Oceanic salt mix.

You could check your water before adding it to the tank for phosphates.

Definitely get on those cartridges. The sediment and carbon filters need to be replaced every 6 months. As for the membrane and DI resin, you really need a TDS meter to determine when those are going. I got my meter on eBay for less than $40.

Like FF said, you could test your IO. I believe they claim there is no PO4 in the mix, as most salt manufactures say this.

I love my Oceanic salt mix. The CA level is super high. It is around 480ppm CA when mixed to a salinity of 35ppt. The Alk is a little lower than I would like, but that can easily be increased in the mixing container.

The reason I changed to Oceanic was because I hated the chronic levels of low Ca in the IO. It never tested over 350ppm of Ca for me when mixed at a salinity of 35ppt.

I will call my lfs about the Oceanic today. Ca is not a big deal to me yet, mine is a FO tank, but that may change in the future.
I purchased my r/o about 6 months ago, so I guess its due. Will test fresh mix tonight, that should tell me a lot.
Would a skimmer upgrade also help? I get about 1/4 cup a day with my current unit (AE Tech reef devil) . I know its undersized. Any suggestions for a 210 . You can see from my stock below, I have several fish that will get pretty big.

My LFS is trying to talk me into a HSA model 250 skimmer. its runs $379, not including the pump. He is willing to give me $125 on my reefdevil. Sound like a decent deal? OR is there a cheaper, as good skimmer I could get.

Back
Top Bottom