bubble algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mermaid

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some green bubble algae in my reef tank, one bubble is particularly huge (aprox 1 1/2 inches across). it just seems to be getting bigger and bigger, is is filling with water or some sort of toxic algae gas?
how big will it get? will it eventually burst, and let go some toxic stuff into my water, killing all of my corals? or am i just over reacting, and should just enjoy watching how big it will get? just wondering!
thanks,
mermaid

You'll most likely want to get the bubble algae out ASAP. IIRC, the bubble will eventually burst, which will then lead to the spread of more bubble algae throughout your tank.

You may be able to remove the 'bubble' by using tweezers or just your fingers. Be careful, though, as it may pop while you're trying to remove it. The smaller ones definitely has some substance to them, but I'm not sure if they're more apt to burst the larger they get.

HTH
Chris

thanks, i guess i wil try to remove it then! anyone know how it grows or what it is filling up with?
thanks again,
mermaid

just to throw in my 2 cents. I like them, believe it or not. I had one get up to nearly 4 inches in diameter before it popped. I hever never really had an outbreak of them either. I currently have about... 6 or 7 of them perhaps. I have a 55 gallon tank. I think they only really become a problem if your system has plentiful nutrients to feed them. Of course everyone's tank is different. They may easily spread like wild fire in the right tank (as the article linked to above mentions). They do pop a little easier when they get bigger, so your best bet, if you're going to remove them, is to pull them off early. Tweezers, pliers, or fingers work just fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom