Bubble algae outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Collatos

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed I have a bubble algae outbreak. I hate bubble algae. It's a nuisance and it's so tough to get rid of. I know if you pop it the spores spread and it just grows more all over your tank. All the bubbles are still relatively small but they are on my live rock. On maybe 2-3 of my rocks. I am doing a large water change tm. Is there anything I can do to help w the bubble algae? I just don't want it spreading to my corals. I was thinking what if after the I siphon out some water I put the liverock into the water I just siphoned out and popped the bubbles in that, then rinsed it with new seawater and then replaced in tank? Although I have coral on the rock as well, some soft corals like ricordea but also a couple of acans. Any advice from people?

I am going through the same thing so I would love to hear others advice. Mine is mainly on a large bottom rock, which is supporting my structure, so taking the rock out is not an option.

I am curious if popping them will really spread them, or if that is a rumor. Some people say to get emerald crabs or rabbitfish and they will eat them. Well wouldn't eating them involve popping them? Why would they spread when we pop them, but not spread when a crab pops them while eating?

Yes popping them does really spread them. Trust me, i removed some on my powerhead and by accident got some
Spores in the water and now they are everywhere

It's normally introduced in our system as a hitchhiker. Nothing really causes it, it's just there and popping them can make it worse. I did what was in the video I posted and haven't had any new growth in at least a month

I just did the airline trick this morning on bubble algae after watching the video. Had some red slime I couldn't get to with a larger vacuum, and the airline tube worked great! Hopefully all is in check now, and thanks for posting the video!!

Yes I agree now. I tried removing some and popped some. They are now growing in places they were not before. I will try the airline method this week during water change time and report back.

Back
Top Bottom