bubble algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a small 2.5g tank about a month old now. I recently added 2 Blue Leg Hermits, and they are doing great. My plan was to start adding some coral within the next few weeks, but then I noticed these little green balls of algae growing on ONE of the pieces of live rock. What would be the best course of action?

I don't have any delicate corals yet, so could I take out that piece of rock and just scrub/rinse it really good and put it back in?

Could I get an Emerald Crab temporarily, and then just remove him when the algae is gone?

Picking out the pieces with tweezers does not sound like a fun option, and I would almost just rather buy another 5lbs of live rock than take that route.

I don't think Emeralds are guaranteed to feast on these.

I would just remove the rock and place it in a bucket of saltwater and examine it and carefully twist and remove the algae. Then put it back in the tank. I had to do the same thing a while back and haven't had any problems since. I'm sure you know this but just in case, you don't want to break these things in the tank as they'll expel spores in your water. If you accidentally do it in the bucket, it's a much easier situation to deal with...

Be careful when you remove it to make sure the rock is not in any water that is going to get back in your tank. The stuff spreads like wild fire by the stuff inside the bubble. The emeralds will eat it usually, but will also cause it to spread. I have it in my tank and can not get rid of it, thus I have given up. My emerald crab just spreads it like crazy.

Something you might want to take into account is that it thrives because of nutrients in your tank. Thus if you change your water regularly and keep eveything at healthy levels, it will not be able to take a foot hold.

I have not done a water change in over 6 months and do not intend on doing one in the near future. I am able to do this, and still have a healthy tank, because of the macro algae I have growing in my tank. I think if you want a lower maintance tank all you have to do is let the macro algae take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom