Bubble algae removal???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weemanpow3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now bubble algae is growing every where and how can I remove it without the bubble bursting. I change water weekly and add half gallon of RO water everyday due do whater evaporation. The water tests are good and I had a LFS chech them and it checked great. so please dont ask for them. How should I remove them.

I agree with Mike, you might want to use RO/DI instead of just RO water....

sorry forgot to put the DI in I only use RO/DI water. Can I put the hose right on the bubble and pop it while its syphoning?

You don't want to pop it, as it will spread. Try to suck it up the siphon. Can you take the rocks out and scrub them?
What equipment do you have? We need to find the excess nutrience, otherwise, you will continue to have the same problem.
How long are your lights on?
What/how much/how often are you feeding?
Can you update "my info" with your tank size/equipment/critters?

Lights on 8 hours. feed every other day. I don't let food sink 2 the bottom of the tank. I use brine/mysis/flakes mixed in a small proportion. I have coral life super skimmer 60. HOB filter with phosphate sponge and carbon. I change sponge accordingly to directions for sponge. Same with carbon. I have 2 power heads and their AquaClear 50's. I clean all equipment every month. I have 13 crabs, 5 fish, 2 shrimp, lots of corals spreading. Coral line every where. 40 lbs LR. 2 1/2 worth of sand. I dont know what else 2 say. The rocks look clean exp the bubble algae. I cant take rocks out beacuse the corals are covering them.

I have had bubble algae in my tank since I got it. I just pick it off easily, be careful not to pop it. Then I just redo that every month or so. It is relatively slow growing in my tank.

Hmmm, I would read that article Mike posted, it sounds like that is your only choice, at this point.

I had bubble algae early on in my tank. I then got two emerald mithrax crabs who ate it all. I then got rid of the crabs after I saw one take a chunk out of one my fish who later died. All of this happened a year or so ago and I haven't seen any buble algae until recently when some just sprang up out of nowhere.

I guess my point is that emerald mithrax crabs do a very good job of getting rid of bubble algae, but it will come back unless the source is addressed.

HTH

weemanpow3 said:
Right now bubble algae is growing every where and how can I remove it without the bubble bursting. I change water weekly and add half gallon of RO water everyday due do whater evaporation. The water tests are good and I had a LFS chech them and it checked great. so please dont ask for them. How should I remove them.
From experience...Tweezers and a whole lot of time to kill on a Fri night. Bursting the bubble is *thought* to help spread it though I have never read any proof. You are bound to pop some and from experience, don't sweat it. My tank registers (Whith multiple test kits) 0 trates/po4 but the bubble algea still grows, thoug much slower. If you don't have a skimmer, get one, if you have one, check to make sure its clean and producing skimmate. I promise you will drive yourself insane trying to figure out whats feeding it and its better time spent removing it. Again, some good tweezers and a lot of time to kill.
The issue with a statement like "water tests are good..so please don't ask for them." is that 'good' in this hobby is subjective. If you have them, post them, it only helps you..

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom