Bubble Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do bubble anemones move to where they need to be as far as lighting and water movement go? I ask because i got one 5 days ago and i had it on top of a rock and it moved down to the bottom and then now its back to the same rock but underneath. I read that they need high lighting so i would think under the rock it might not be getting sufficient amount of light.

i just bought a bubble anemone and its moved everyday at least once, right now its even pointing towards the ground and my heater, i think its dying ;(

They will move around until they find a suitable place that's jut right for them. Once they find that spot, they pretty much stay there, unless something is bothering them (i.e. other fish, flow, etc...)

BTA moves for 2 reasons
1) They searching for better suitable location ,flow/light etc. If this is the case, it is fine except it will probly sting couple other corals while it is moving.

2) They moves because they are stressed, it can be the clown fish, ( larger size clown trying to host small BTA can do that), or it can be stress due to the new environment as well, water chemistry /flow or even slight lighting can cause this. If it starts run behind rocks, under rocks then it is because the stress that it want to hide from all the "traffic" If that is the case, you have to let it come out itself and hope it will. The more you handle it, the more it will run away.

O that makes sense i should feed it krill or sliversides im guessing or is it not needed.. can they live only off the light.

Just to give u a look at it the first pic is the day i got it where i placed it, second is where it moved to with flash, and third is without flash. It looks healthy though.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130201_185406.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130201_185406.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20130201_185445.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130201_185445.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 108
  • ForumRunner_20130201_185607.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130201_185607.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 74
They will move till they find a spot they are happy with, from the pics it looks like you have a cyano problem which comes from nitrates and/or phosphates and anemones don't like high levels

Im almost 100% positive thats diatoms from end of cycle... only been running 3 months

NO3&PO4 are there the algae is consuming it. 3 months is a little young for an anemone as sensitive as they are. The do better in a well established balanced tank. As long as you keep it balanced and have enough light. I would try to lower the nutrients and get rid of the cyano. Might cut back on feeding and maybe invest in a gfo reactor to drop phosphates. Be sure to use RO/DI water.

Ya i use ro/di water for sure looking into getting a ro/di unit to. And i know its young but i had a 120gal that was 10years old and i took the water and live rock from that and i put live sand in so though should be good.

Ya i might be feeding a lot but its every other day and i have a protein skimmer thats for 200 gal so its keeping it all good and water changes every week. Other coral are doing great and just cleaned tank after that pic.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130202_111801.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130202_111801.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 48
  • ForumRunner_20130202_112005.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130202_112005.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 56
Thats good to hear! Being that you are experienced i am sure the nem will do fine! I assumed since the tank was new you were new to saltwater! If you don't mind me asking what dimensions is your 120? I am thinking about upgrading to a 120. How do you like it are they any cons about it?

I think the demensions were 6ft by 18in deep and 24in high. It was nice i got it from my aunt and she had it ten years and then i had it for 1 year. Had to go to this 40gal breeder and had them drill the 2in hole in the middle because i plan on setting it up in the middle of a room. The 120 had an overflow and had to have it off the wall 4in didnt really like that. I switched lights to 4 t5hos it had timer on it also went with the odyessea ik there super cheap but only thing i would say is u have to solder bigger capacitors on it and it will work they put way to small of ones on it. I got a diff odyessea 36in without the timer and it has been great i switched light bulbs to ati's and plan on doing it with this one 2 aqua blue specials and 2 blue plus. The tank was great still have it i just didnt want to be doing 30 gal water change every 2 weeks till i get my house done then i will set it up again. Also i love that i had a bigger selection of fish.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130202_114829.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130202_114829.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom