Bubble Anemone that constantly moves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Bubble Anemone, and my Parameters are ideal for the creature. 0ppm ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity is whithin its recommended range, and temp is 80 degrees. I have a 55 Gallon tank with 108 Watts of T5 lighting in it. The local pet expert told me thats enough lighting for the bubble nem. I have noticed that he constantly moves, and is obiously stressed which is what im worried about. He deflates a lot during the day but strange enough, i heard they needed A LOT OF LIGHT but my nem seems to come a live and really bubble out and look like its not dying during the night when my light shuts off for down time. During the 12 hours of daylight i have it lit for it looks terrible, its mouth lays open and exposed, it seems to have its skin falling off so it looks like its dying, im just waiting for the smell! I turned the light off and boom got better and looks great! Whats up with this? The only other thing i can think of is A.) Im not measuring calcium so it could be that? OR B my nem is just Gothic!

The tank is 7 months old and has red algea at the bottem of the tank ( Is that the correline or whatever that is supposed to be good?) I got the Nem a month ago and he has been fine. It seems also that if my current and or lighting is too constant the nem looks dead! It seems to like change? which is wierd.

I'm sorry, but IMO, 108W of lighting is not sufficient for a nem in a 55G tank. I know that 55G tanks are very tell more than anything else, and you will need a lot of light.

I had this light fixture:48" 6x54W Nova Extreme PRO T5HO 3x10k/3x460nm Actinics by Current USA*(1081) - AquaCave

Which had approximately 324 watts, and even then, i was still hesitant to buy a nem because that still may have not been enough light, considering 55G tanks are very tall. So 108W on a 55G will not be sufficient for a nem. Whoever that local expert was, was just trying to get you to buy the nem, because your lighting won't support it.

Also, how old is your tank? Nems should not be placed in tanks that are under at least one year of age, because at this age, tank parameters can still fluctuate and nems need the least amount of water fluctuations possible. Your params may be fine at the moment, but maybe a month or two down the road, some little event could happen and alter the parameters, thus putting your nem in even more stress, and nems + stress = tank getting nuked.

I would bring the nem back to where you bought it, get better lighting, and wait until your tank is mature enough to support these creatures.

I agree that a 2 x 54w T5HO fixture is not enough light for an anemone in a 55g tank. Also, your tank is still quite young and I would guess the red algae you see is actually cyanobacteria, which is pretty common in new systems from all the excessive nutrients.
Do you run a protein skimmer?
What is your salinity...exactly? And what do you use to measure it?
Have you tested alkalinity?
What kind of water (RO/DI, tap, well) do you use?
0 nitrate? Hmmmmmm What brand test kit?

Back
Top Bottom