Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bubble coral

I just got a Bubble coral for my tank. I love it, it looks so cool. I put it in my tank about 4 hours ago and it still has not fully opened up. How long do they normally take to completely open up after being introduced to a new tank? I think I messed up by not acclimating it properly, I had planned on drip acclimation, but was told that all I had to do was float the bag and add it. I floated it for at least 25 min or so, added a little tank water to the bag and then placed it into my tank. I have the feeling that the drip acclimation was the way to go for this one . Was this a big mistake?

Old 02-10-2004, 09:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah, you probably should have drip acclimated it, but thast is not likely the problem. Make sure it is an area of lowerflow and indirect light. How is your lighting versus the LFS? IME, bubble like intense lighting, but need to be acclimated to it

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My lighting is 2 55w pc's, not sure about what the lfs had....but it looks like my tank is brighter than the one it was in. I think thats just because it was a bigger tank and the lights were further above the tank. I want to say they were mh lights though. As far as the flow goes, should there be little to no movement on the bubbles? Right now, they are moving around because of the current. Should i try to redirect the flow so there is less movement?
Old 02-10-2004, 10:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, I moved it to the center of my tank because I think there is less water flow there...Just wondering, how low should the flow be?Like i posted above, should the bubbles be hardly moving around at all?
Old 02-10-2004, 10:00 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Should i try to redirect the flow so there is less movement?
Yes, I would have no direct flow on them, just some difused flow.

Old 02-11-2004, 02:56 AM   #6
cj10488

My bubble coral likes to be in as low of flow that I can possibly find for him.. At night when the Sweepers are out they need to be Just barely waving back and forth.. if the bubbles are constantly moving more than a freckle then IMO its too much flow.. FWIW mine is under a 250w MH light and loves it.. I am doing a no no and placed in on the sandbed as its the only place in my tank now with the least amount of flow.. I can say that He definetly likes it.. He has quadrupled in size since I got him back in Sept. After he has been in your tank for about 24hrs he should be fully opened.. Also I did not drip acclimate mine either.. just gently placed him in after floating the bag.. When he is fully open take a piece of thawed krill and place it in the center weekly or bimonthly.. You will get a great kick out of the eating process and he will enjoy it even more.. Thats one of the things I most commonly get complimented on with my tank..

HTH<
James
Old 02-11-2004, 10:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Why is it a no no to put them on the sand bed? Every one I have seen has been placed there. I will check him out when I get home tonight and see how he is doing!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have mine on the sand bed.. thats where he does the best. Mine has gotten so big that I can feed him silver sides 2 inches long and he pulls them right down w/ no problem. My bubble coral and my 3 ceranthid anemones eat more sea food than I do!

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:09 PM   #9
cj10488

Placing them on the SandBed can cause infections if they get injured.. That is why they say its a no no to have them on the sand Bed..

HTH,
James
Old 02-11-2004, 09:33 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

To expand on what James has said, it would be very easy for the bubble to get sand on it's tissue and irritate it to the point of infection. They are not naturally occurring on the sand bed, as far as I know.

Tags
bubble, bubble coral, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com