bubble coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
i think i'm gonna get a bubble coral. has any one ever heard of a clown fish hosting one? i really want to get something my clowns can host, but i just adore the bubble corals, and my tank is only 10gal so its not big enough for an anemone. TIA!
~emily~

FYI A Bubble Coral can and will get bigger than a 10gal can handle..

if i get one that is only 2 inches will it be too big for my 10 gal in 2 years? cause in less than two years i'll be upgrading to a bigger tank.

mle421 said:
if i get one that is only 2 inches will it be too big for my 10 gal in 2 years? cause in less than two years i'll be upgrading to a bigger tank.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's not going to get to big for a 10 gallon in 2 years if you buy one that is two inches. Now let me clarify that by saying it probably won't hold 10 gallons of water in two years but it can get big enough to where you cany have anything else in the tank because believe it or not, bubbles have a super strong sting I'd say that the 2 in my tank have just as strong a sting as a frogspawn or hammer (one of my bubbles killed a rock anemone).

I think though that there are a few causes for concern as far as getting a bubble goes and they go like this (and these are just from my expierience so take them with a grain of salt).....1) at night they have these long sweeper tentacles that reach out and sting the crap out of anything they touch while they are trying to feed so if it were going in a 10 gallon they could probably go all the way accross the aquarium and sting pretty much anything they wanted to. 2) They have a pretty strong sting from what I've seen my big one has closed up my hammer a couple times because it got a little to close. 3) the polyp (the bubble) can grow onto surrounding rocks and make it nearly impossible to move so watch out how you have it sitting on the rocks. 4) oh, and you don't want a clown to get in it anyways..... they will close up and not look so hot.

Either way, go get one if you want one!!!!!! eventually I think that the bubble would get used to the clown trying to host it and just deal with it. when you go and pick it out though, look at how the bubble part is attached to the skeleton and make sure that it isn't damaged at all because if it is, it will probably die.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

oh, here is a pic of one of mine

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=9773

jason didn't you tell me once that your wife has a 10 gallon with a rose anemone in it? could i do that in mine?

I would think that the question is not "will it get too big" but rather "do I have the lighting to support a bubble coral?"

Your going to need VHO lighting to keep one successfully. Either that...or ALOT of PC lighting.

mle421 said:
jason didn't you tell me once that your wife has a 10 gallon with a rose anemone in it? could i do that in mine?

Yeah I did actually (awesome memory :wink: ), It's still alive and well. I guess you could do that in yours......

Her 10 gallon has a lot of things in it now
a rose anemone
a green brain
some mushrooms
daisy star polyps
a sun coral
and about 50 polyps of candy cane coral
and some red zoas with yellow skirts and purple ones with purple skirts

I guess that doesn't really seem like a lot but it's about 1/2 of the way full.

I wouldn't really worry about putting corals in it since they don't swim I mean you sit them there and they stay until you move them. As far as that anemone goes, it'll probably move around a little bit so watch out for your corals for a few days.

hope that helped .......

I would think that the question is not "will it get too big" but rather "do I have the lighting to support a bubble coral?"

Your going to need VHO lighting to keep one successfully. Either that...or ALOT of PC lighting.

why is that? bubbles are supposedly a medium light coral. I don't think they would need to much light in a 10 gallon 4wpg of PC should be just fine..... a 10 gallon tank is really shallow.

i think it is the stigma that PC suck and you need VHO or MH for LPS. i know several people including myself with some SPS under PC that are doing fine and growing. i would think a bubble would be fine under any lighting about 4 WPG or better. of course every coral is different and depth of tank will play a factor. i guess that was about 3 cents worth :D

steve r

You might be able to pull it off with the tank being so shallow. Give it a try...let me know how it goes!

yeah, i have 4.4wpg, and its a really shallow tank to start with. the lighting isn't my concern. especially since bubbles only need moderate light. my concern was the space required, the growth rate, and the length of its stinging tentacles.

jason, thanks for the advice on the rose, i hadn't thought about its mobility. good call. do you by any chance have any pics of your wifes tank? i'm curious to see what you guys did with all the stuff in such small quarters! especially since i remember that i have pretty much the exact same set up and lighting! thanks a ton!

I'll try to take one of hers, but is is far from being finished so it's really not that great of a tank.

I don't have a digital camera, but i'll try to take some on monday night.

Back
Top Bottom