Bubble Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
This is a pic of my bubble coral at the end of the day. I`s about 6 yrs old. I dont think it`s sick because it`s been like this for several months. It`s OK in the morning and day and then stretches out where you can see the mouth in the evening. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 100_1534_340.jpg
    100_1534_340.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 75
I'm not sure if this is related, but didn't you double your lighting recently? If this started happening about the same time as the ligting upgrade or shortly afterwards, it just may be how the coral responds after a full day with the extra light.

That`s a good point but this has been going on for many months. Several months before the new lights. It has not got any smaller but it has got much bigger. It`s about the size of a volley ball. Thanks for the suggestion. I had some other folks suggest it needed feedings but I`ve never target fed it the 6 yrs I`ve had it. It gets what it needs with the lighting and water column. I`ll try feeding it some mysis and see what happens. Where`s James (innovator) when you need him. LOL

Since installing the new lighting (more lights or just bulb replacement?), what type of timing system are you running and where is the coral placement in accordance the the bulbs? Is there any recession anywhere around the outer edges exposing septa? In the picture, the lower lobe seems to be drooping, but is the flesh actually drooping downward or does the skeleton extend that far down?

Went from 1 50/50 and 1 super actinic to two of each. He was already doing this several months before change. Lights are on 10A to 9p. Probably about 20 to 24 inches below the lights. And no the skeleton does not go down that far. The lobe is about 5 inches lower than the skeleton. The top lobe is higher than the skeleton also. It does not seem to be suffering or receeding from the skeleton. Thanks for any advice James.

Were any new corals, especially leathers and/or Sinularia spp., added around the time you began noticing change? Any corals in the vicinity acting strangely? In general, these corals do not acclimate well to lighting and reduce in bubble mass when too much light is upon them. You mentioned that the change began before the new lighting (were original bulbs replaced with new ones?) addition so even though I would not count out photo-acclimation, it would be odd to place it as the sole culprit. Do you have a dawn/dusk lighting scheme? If so, does the deflation of bubbles begin before the dusk effect (all lights on), during the dusk effect (only actinics on), or after all the lights go out? Expansion of tissue/bubbles during the daylight and retracting at night is quite normal, but considering this came out of the blue and hasn't changed in months I ask, any changes in husbandry such as added chemicals/additives since, etc? Sorry if the questions seem redundant, but my first inclination was budding by the lower lobe...

No leathers added. All corals in the vicinity look great. Lighting and feeding are the main suggestions I`ve had so far. I dont do any supplements just PWC`s. I dont mind questions. Keep asking if it helps. I keep asking myself if this might be normal for age or reproduction (budding). It still has it`s nice green glow.

I don't think it has anything to do with the lighting or new additions. My green bubble has been doing the same thing on random nights when the lights go off, and I've had him for just over 1 year now. It has also grown in size, and when the lights are on, all the bubbles are in full force. It's even "stretches" at the base upward toward the lighting! I'll try to get pics with and without lighting so you can compare.

I think it might just be part of the corals growth and development. Oh, and when I direct feed him in that state, the flesh does retract inward. Maybe it is hunger related?

Back
Top Bottom