Bubble Coral on slow drip need answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

I just picked up my bubble coral today from the LFS.. I have him on a drip right now.. I have a few questions..

1st... I read that they can sting human hands has anyone ever gotten stung???

2nd... Should I place him on the LR or on the sand??? I have 6x55watt pc lights so i was thinking about in the middle are to the right side of the tank.. The HOB skimmer would be somewhat about him for flow other than that it would be complete oposite side of the overflow...

3rd... Any ideas as to placement and how long should he drip.. and last

He will move if he do0esnt like where i put him right??? or is it just anemones that move?

TIA,
James

Well I let it drip for an hour and a half.. and placed it about part way up in the aquarium and kinda under the skimmer.. Photos below..

Should I move him elsewhere???

Will He move if he doesnt like it there?

He came attached to a piece of LR and the way the piece is its kinda hard to situate it anywhere so I hope he does move...

TIA,
James

BTW the pictures were done with my Nokia Cell Phone so I hope they are decent.. I loaned my Digital out for the moment...

I think it will be fine where it is, though I think that Bubble Coral is photsynthetic and it needs a lot of light...? It seems that you don't have very much light going into the tank for spill over...

Bubble Coral I believe won't move around...

Have you considered getting or building a canopy?

K, I edited this..

From your profile, I see it is a 6X55 watt which should be a good amount of light for the bubble...Spill over though is quite evident per the picture...

Mine is in a cave like structure and gets low to moderate light. It has grown real fast. Just feed it silversides.

considering how fast that opened up for you i think that is a good sign that it is content there nice looking coral (y)

I figured that I would post another Pic of the Bubble now that I got my semi good camera back..

Quote:

mine moves once in a while and you actually shouldn't acclimate it.

Quote:

Could you please explain this?

The moving part or the shouldnt have to acclimate it..

My guess is the "shouldnt have to acclimate it".

When i purchased this coral the LFS water was at 1.020 and mine is at 1.023 ...quite a difference...

When i purchased this coral the LFS water was at 1.020 and mine is at 1.023 ...quite a difference...

This is precisely why I asked the question to xxmoorishmanxx. I was wanting an explanation of why you shouldn't acclimate a bubble coral. I have not heard of that and would not like to mis-inform anyone. So, I would like xxmoorishmanxx
to explain this...

mine moves once in a while and you actually shouldn't acclimate it.

Bubble Coral had accident!!! Last night everything looked great.. And this morning it was sitting on its side like a fish knocked him over.... When I placed him there he seemed extremely sturdy.. However after this morning is it know that it must not have been that stable.. I have placed him in a different spot hoping that it doesnt happen again.. Any thoughts as to how to better secure this small little piece of LR.. The way it is it doesnt make it very stable anywhere PLEASE HELP.... I am crossing my fingers that it didnt do much if anything to him and he will open back up :invasion:

TIA,
James

We have ours wedged in between rocks, they don't move. I'm not sure about yours but ours has mouths on it, 4 or 5 of them. But ours is an Octobubble, Bryan at Logical reef told us he fed it a whole krill every other night.

From the looks of our octobubble there is no way it can move, it's not an anemone, I can see how it could be confused though. Reefrunner had told me to keep it off the sand it can get sand in it and get infections, we have ours on rocks.

You have a beautiful one there! :D

From what I read they are found in shady areas, but have no problems with light.

A great book to help you out would be this one Aquarium Corals Selection, Husbandry and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman

Reefrunner had suggested that to me. So I purchased it though AA by using their link on the front page of AA at the bottom to go to Amazon.com I wanted to give them something back for all the help. I'm so glad I did, it helped me know what their location, capitive care, how hardy they are what they eat and so on.

Hope it opened back up for you.

Kaurene

I have read many books... And found exactly what I was looking for last night... Corals are stationary and Anemones move about... Thats was the exact phrase I was looking for.... He seems to be opening up again slowly but I think he should come around again after his nasty spill... I will say that it is a pretty wierd thing to see him after dark..... no bubbles just tenticles everywhere... I had him wedged in between rocks the best that I could the way the piece of LR is.. I think I have found a more secure area for him but its not where i want him :( I kinda want to work from one end of the tank to the other with the corals and leave one end open for a carpet in the future...

Thx Again,
James

BTW I still would like suggestions as to how to better secure this piece of rock somewhere..

Back
Top Bottom