Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree with the 120w taotronics light.

Check this one out, its affordable and very effective.

New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black US | eBay

You are going to need this light asap if you want to keep your nem alive.

In the future I would highly recommend researching things to buy before trying to buy them. It will save you a lot of grief down the road in situations like this, not to mention money. If that nem dies in your tank it has the potential to nuke the tan killing everything else in it.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
with a45 gallon tank your gonna need a 6-t5 at minimum. For close to the same price you could go with a Tao 120 watt dimmable. Also you don't need to feed your anemones. Your clowns will take care of it and the flow will blow extra into them.
You don't need a 6 bulb over a 45 gallon... I ran a 4 bulb over my 55 and my BTA thrived. However, I do strongly agree with the Taotronics as I just put one on my 40 breeder, or any LED for that matter. Better light penetration, and much less electricity used too...

Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

your set up is only 3 months old, way too new to keep a nem, and also as others said, you are going to have to upgrade your lighting a long way to even have a chance
Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
your set up is only 3 months old, way too new to keep a nem, and also as others said, you are going to have to upgrade your lighting a long way to even have a chance
That's an assumption...? The OP said they had the anemone for 3 months, never mentioned age of the tank. Seems like a lighting issue even so.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I agree with the 120w taotronics light.

Check this one out, its affordable and very effective.

New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black US | eBay

You are going to need this light asap if you want to keep your nem alive.

In the future I would highly recommend researching things to buy before trying to buy them. It will save you a lot of grief down the road in situations like this, not to mention money. If that nem dies in your tank it has the potential to nuke the tan killing everything else in it.

Hi - just saw this link and don't mean to hijack it however I have the same size tank and have a couple of miserable corals whilst others are thriving including my nems. I am sure it is the lighting. I have the same size tank with an Aqua One 2 bulb light 10 000 output for the marine blue globe and high output ( Chinese brand ) for the white globe- recommended by LFS for my anemone and soft corals based on the 2nd hand tank I had just purchased. I had a look at this link- thanks for adding it as it helps so much. Do you know if these can sit straight on glass lids or do they have to be suspended like the diagram? I have been looking at different lighting and forum links and people talk about acclimatising your corals to the new lighting with shade cloths etc ( prob for the T5s- this one has a dimmer and fan which interests me). Can get a bit confusing. Soft corals are doing well as are some hard.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI68 View Post
Hi - just saw this link and don't mean to hijack it however I have the same size tank and have a couple of miserable corals whilst others are thriving including my nems. I am sure it is the lighting. I have the same size tank with an Aqua One 2 bulb light 10 000 output for the marine blue globe and high output ( Chinese brand ) for the white globe- recommended by LFS for my anemone and soft corals based on the 2nd hand tank I had just purchased. I had a look at this link- thanks for adding it as it helps so much. Do you know if these can sit straight on glass lids or do they have to be suspended like the diagram? I have been looking at different lighting and forum links and people talk about acclimatising your corals to the new lighting with shade cloths etc ( prob for the T5s- this one has a dimmer and fan which interests me). Can get a bit confusing. Soft corals are doing well as are some hard.
It will need to be suspended to give good light distribution. As for acclimating corals under that light it's really easy as you can just dim the light and slowly turn it up.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bubble Tip Anemone

I have two RBTA's in a 125 with a T-5 light fixture and they are huge and have split several times. But they don't bubble is my only problem.
I feed it about once a week if even that. Maybe once ever three weeks. I had been feeding it 2 times a week till I saw it spit out the silverside so I stopped feeding it so much.
But your tank does need to be mature because I lost two GBTA's due to my tank not being old enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RBTA - 9-9-13.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	197499  
Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Thanks- I may have to look at T5s then- something on a stand as I have a cabinet hood.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

How about this light? The other one advertised is in USA only. This one is a bit pricey I think however I need one which has legs as I have a cabinet hood

2ft 60cm Cree Aquarium LED Reef Grow Light 3 Watt Leds First Class Light | eBay
Old 09-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How about this light? The other one advertised is in USA only. This one is a bit pricey I think however I need one which has legs as I have a cabinet hood

2ft 60cm Cree Aquarium LED Reef Grow Light 3 Watt Leds First Class Light | eBay
I don't know if 48 watts would cut it...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com