Bubble Tip Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edward2788

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my BTA for about 2months and it lost color. I feed it 3 times a week and have a 20w light. What is wrong with it?

what brand/model light do you have and what size tank do you have?

I believe it's ocean sun and it's a 20w and a 45gl tank

Agree, not nearly enough light. Also you could be harming it by feeding so often. With the right lighting you shouldn't need to feed it at all...

Agree, not nearly enough light. Also you could be harming it by feeding so often. With the right lighting you shouldn't need to feed it at all...

What like and how many watts would you recommend

What like and how many watts would you recommend
with a45 gallon tank your gonna need a 6-t5 at minimum. For close to the same price you could go with a Tao 120 watt dimmable. Also you don't need to feed your anemones. Your clowns will take care of it and the flow will blow extra into them.

You don't need to feed anemone, but you can if you want to. Maybe just once weekly for faster growth.

I agree with the 120w taotronics light.

Check this one out, its affordable and very effective.

New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black US | eBay

You are going to need this light asap if you want to keep your nem alive.

In the future I would highly recommend researching things to buy before trying to buy them. It will save you a lot of grief down the road in situations like this, not to mention money. If that nem dies in your tank it has the potential to nuke the tan killing everything else in it.

with a45 gallon tank your gonna need a 6-t5 at minimum. For close to the same price you could go with a Tao 120 watt dimmable. Also you don't need to feed your anemones. Your clowns will take care of it and the flow will blow extra into them.

You don't need a 6 bulb over a 45 gallon... I ran a 4 bulb over my 55 and my BTA thrived. However, I do strongly agree with the Taotronics as I just put one on my 40 breeder, or any LED for that matter. Better light penetration, and much less electricity used too...

your set up is only 3 months old, way too new to keep a nem, and also as others said, you are going to have to upgrade your lighting a long way to even have a chance

your set up is only 3 months old, way too new to keep a nem, and also as others said, you are going to have to upgrade your lighting a long way to even have a chance

That's an assumption...? The OP said they had the anemone for 3 months, never mentioned age of the tank. Seems like a lighting issue even so.

I agree with the 120w taotronics light.

Check this one out, its affordable and very effective.

New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black US | eBay

You are going to need this light asap if you want to keep your nem alive.

In the future I would highly recommend researching things to buy before trying to buy them. It will save you a lot of grief down the road in situations like this, not to mention money. If that nem dies in your tank it has the potential to nuke the tan killing everything else in it.

Hi - just saw this link and don't mean to hijack it however I have the same size tank and have a couple of miserable corals whilst others are thriving including my nems. I am sure it is the lighting. I have the same size tank with an Aqua One 2 bulb light 10 000 output for the marine blue globe and high output ( Chinese brand ) for the white globe- recommended by LFS for my anemone and soft corals based on the 2nd hand tank I had just purchased. I had a look at this link- thanks for adding it as it helps so much. Do you know if these can sit straight on glass lids or do they have to be suspended like the diagram? I have been looking at different lighting and forum links and people talk about acclimatising your corals to the new lighting with shade cloths etc ( prob for the T5s- this one has a dimmer and fan which interests me). Can get a bit confusing. Soft corals are doing well as are some hard.

Hi - just saw this link and don't mean to hijack it however I have the same size tank and have a couple of miserable corals whilst others are thriving including my nems. I am sure it is the lighting. I have the same size tank with an Aqua One 2 bulb light 10 000 output for the marine blue globe and high output ( Chinese brand ) for the white globe- recommended by LFS for my anemone and soft corals based on the 2nd hand tank I had just purchased. I had a look at this link- thanks for adding it as it helps so much. Do you know if these can sit straight on glass lids or do they have to be suspended like the diagram? I have been looking at different lighting and forum links and people talk about acclimatising your corals to the new lighting with shade cloths etc ( prob for the T5s- this one has a dimmer and fan which interests me). Can get a bit confusing. Soft corals are doing well as are some hard.

It will need to be suspended to give good light distribution. As for acclimating corals under that light it's really easy as you can just dim the light and slowly turn it up.

I have two RBTA's in a 125 with a T-5 light fixture and they are huge and have split several times. But they don't bubble is my only problem.
I feed it about once a week if even that. Maybe once ever three weeks. I had been feeding it 2 times a week till I saw it spit out the silverside so I stopped feeding it so much.
But your tank does need to be mature because I lost two GBTA's due to my tank not being old enough.

Attachments

• RBTA - 9-9-13.jpg
    RBTA - 9-9-13.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 60

Thanks- I may have to look at T5s then- something on a stand as I have a cabinet hood.

Back
Top Bottom