Bubble tip anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bear85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Bought a bubble tip anemone yesterday, get up this morn and he is gone ? Been looking for a hr because I know they can move ? Would my livestock ate it ? I have 2 clowns , yellow tang, purple tang, fire shrimp, 4 conch and some hermit crabs.

Probably shrunk up hiding in the rock work or dead and disintegrated. Your tank is way too new for an anemone. You need to wait at least another 9-10 months.

Anemones require a well established tank. About 10-12 months at least.

Anemones require a well established tank. About 10-12 months at least.

6 months is considered the bare minimum to keep an anemone. Any less than that and the tank isn't established so the parameters can easily swing. It also gives you enough experience in keeping the parameters stable.

Ok .. Well I have him now, I am confident my perimeters don't change or swing and I do my water changes every 2 weeks! I don't over feed ! So I hope this is not a expensive earning curve. If only I could find him

They may not host your nem either, some never do
Yes that's true. I got lucky a few days ago. I added my anemone and my maroon dove right in. But it might also be unlucky... The anemone is very stressed out from it. Hopefully I get my 90 all cycled soon so the maroon clowns can find a new home so the nem clones itself and gets bigger before hosting again.

Attachments

• image-2778182134.jpg
    image-2778182134.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 95
your nem is very bleached, it is already weak from lack of zooxanthellae. I would try and keep the clowns away asap. You will need pristine stable water conditions and good lighting to save it.

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.

your nem is very bleached, it is already weak from lack of zooxanthellae. I would try and keep the clowns away asap. You will need pristine stable water conditions and good lighting to save it. Bleached Anemone: The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc. Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so: Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.
Yes I have kept btas in the past with success. This time I ordered from reefs2go and it was as you said very bleached. I'm adding the pure zooxanthellae algae from the bottle right now actually, which has worked in the past. The clownfish are both in a breeders box in the corner temporarily. The anemone is in good hands :D I'm going to start a thread right now actually for any other tips/advice that I haven't uncovered through my years. Lol. Hopefully this guy makes it also :) I'll keep you updated

I dont believe that zooxanthellae will do any good. When you feed it, the smaller the pieces the better. My little nem forest :) I switched over to high end led's 3 months back, and it seem to have had an effect of bigger puffier tentacles and bulbs, this is on the first day with led's, need to get a updated pict for a side by side, also just the rbta seems affected and not the gbta

Back
Top Bottom