Bubble Tip Anemone Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I recently bought a bubble tip anemone with some very nice lights (4-110 watt VHO's) and 2 maxi-jet 1200 powerheads with my two other existing ones on my 55gal. But anyways when i got my bubble tip anemone today it looks like it found a spot cuz it roamed and its been sitting in this spot for a few hours and its bubbles turned it skinny tentacals and i can see the center, I heard that when his tentacles are stringy they are happy and most likely stay there, is that true? also what do I feed it?? I have a pack of cyclopeez (a micro plankton food) and will it try to kill my button polyps and my colt coral and if so what shall I do??
The reason why I bought the anemone is that he was a med size for 10$ a killer deal and the guy said it is a great anemone they own a 2000-5000gal reef HUGE! Will my saddleback go into the anemone? I want it to and so far it isnt in there yet, will it take a few days for the clown to like the anemone? Thanks for your help

Congrats I bought a Rose bubble tip today myself (pics in another post). I don't believe any anemone would intentionally kill coral however, when moving around the tank finding a home it may very well come in contact with and sting anything in it's path. Just keep an eye on it wandering. Most anemones like meatier foods. While I have yet to find anything that didn't like cyclop-eeze you should occasionally feed it fresh or frozen shimp and/or silversides. That is a great deal on any anemone though they are recommened to put in aged and more stable tanks. Keep your water perams in check and I am sure he'll be fine. As for your clown hosting, who knows, sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. It is always just a guess, but even if they do I am sure it will take a little while for your clown to find it and decide to move in.

HTH
R-

LOL! the clown went into it about a half an hour ago and he loves it! I'll post the pics of both of them tomorrow or tuesday whenever i get the time. My bubble tip has light pink tentacals and red points and it has a bright neon green color outside of the tentacals its really cool u should see the pic when I post it and maybe u can reply :) So can I just go to a store and buy shrimp and chop them up and put them in tweezers and feed it to the anemone??? thanks for your help :)

Sorry for interupting your question saltwaterteen, I also had a question, I saw a bulb tip anemone at the LFS and its tentacles are fat and further apart (I mean each tentacle are further apart from the other), is this a good sign? It looks healthy, when a cleaner shrimp craw past its tentacles, it would retract, but why does the tentacles looks so fat? Normally I saw other anemones's tentacles are close together. Any reply would be appreciated, and reply for saltwaterteen too, thanks all. :D

for what its worth, I just bought a beautiful bubble tip 3 days ago. From what I read, as long as the mouth is nice and tight and the anemone retracts, it should be healthy. once they are comfortable in their location, they relax and their tentacles look farther apart. It just depends on the anemone. Sometimes my anemone's tentacles look close, other times far apart. also if they have just eaten, they will "deflate" while they digest food.

also, FYI, my once very docile clowns now are somewhat protective and aggressive around my new anemone. They have bitten us a few times... they will also poach food from others to feed the anemone. We are letting them feed the anemone, because that is when we got bit... trying to feed it.

to my knowlege bubble tips are the easiest of the anemones to keep. i have heard many different things on feeding them. i have heard direct feeding is fine, and i have also heard that if you have a clown fish that the clown fish will feed the anemone for you and therefore direct feeding is not nessicary. it has been my experiance, that my maroon clown fish does in fact feed my bubble tip. he will take hunks of food during the feeding time and place it in the tentacles. its so cute to watch him do that. my bubble is so happy that in fact one moring i woke up and i had two bubble tips, he had split over night!! pretty exciting!
good luck,
Mermaid

I have two bubble tips. One tan and one rose bubble. I ahve a tomato that host both of them now. I feed mine siversides and shrimp two or three times a week. I have never had a problem with them at all. I love them

Can I feed the anemone just shrimp and how do I do it? Take tongs and give it to him individually? and also how can u tell if its hungry I did some reasearch and I got some results sating they make their tentacles long to try and sweep food.

I checked my frozen food pack and it says it contains:

Formula1&2
Prime Reef
Angel Formula
Brineshrimp Plus
Spirulina Formula
and Special Formula VHP

Will the anemone eat that??? and will I need to get alk and calcium tests for my tank, I dont have any hard corals in there yet.

I buy frozen silversides and shrimp. I take a little out of the package and put it in a cup of tank water to thaw out then i just reach in the tank and put it on the anemone and it puts it in his mouth. I don't use tongs or anything just my fingers. It is very easy. They say you should feed it about once a week but i like to keep mine well fed and happy. Good luck witht the anemone. Also how old is your tank? And usually they are happy when the tips are bubbled. My brown BTA is not bubbled anymore b/c it is hosted. Hopefully my rose will stay bubbled even though it is being hosted.

Back
Top Bottom