Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bubble tip anemone question

We just got our bubble tip and it has since moved to the back of the tank. Is he just being shy and will he move out to a more noticable spot? I thought they liked high light and water movement.. whre he is now there is hardly any movement and hes kinda uner the overhang of the liverock. Should I move him or just wait and see where he goes? Thanks all! Sue :0)

Old 06-03-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
steve-s

It's most likely a reaction to the MH lighting if you have it installed. It was the reason I asked you what anemone you where getting in this post:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=187534#187534

BTA's do not do well under extreme light. 2x250w MH on a 55 gal for this type of anemone is far too much. If you have a few areas where there are outcroppings and it can shade itself, it may adapt over time. Don't try to move it, just let it finds it's own place. Do not expect it to be a "front and center" show piece though.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-04-2004, 02:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

After my clown died my bubble moved down and to the back of the tank, it seams to like the lower current when catching its food on its own.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
BTA's do not do well under extreme light
out of curiosity what kind of lighting do they do well under (well, as well as one can do in captivity anyway)?
Old 06-04-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
steve-s

PC or VHO is just fine in sufficient quantity. MH when used oppropriately for SPS and such is simpley too strong.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did not install the MH lights yet. Do you think the power compacts are enough to keep him going? He has gone around the back but now has settled in a crook half in front and half in back but still not enough room for the clowns to host to it. LOL figures a shy anemone! We will save the MH and put them on the other 55 when we get it up and running. I just want to give a big thanks to Steve for helping me out!! Sue :0)
Old 06-04-2004, 11:49 AM   #7
steve-s

On a 55 gal tank 4x65w PC or 4x75w VHO would be just fine. I would not really suggest the MH if the BTA is your primary goal. It may well end up adapting to the MH intensity over time but I do not think it will flourish as much.

You will still be able to have many coral in the tank as well if that's a concern. As far as the anemone moving about, your just going to have to let it be. It will eventually stop once it's found the right flow and intensity that suits it's needs. Unless the BTA is in danger of an intake device, it should be left alone. The clown will adapt.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
anemone, bubble, bubble tip, bubble tip anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com