Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2003, 05:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great shot, you must be over-joy. It's cool when something like tahat happens!
Good luck!

Old 12-04-2003, 09:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I didn't know they did that. Wow I'd like to see the whole vid. myself.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

the whole picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents
I didn't know they did that. Wow I'd like to see the whole vid. myself.
I didn't take a video as it took about a week for them to completely split and come back together. I do however have more pictures now (bought myself a Canon D-10 ). Once I lean how to post them, I'll put 'em in my gallery as a set.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome! I am really considering getting a rose BTA.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 01:04 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

How can you tell when it's going to split? I have a condy that is rather large and was wondering what the signs are. I didn't know they would do that and if I saw one "comming apart" I would have paniced andsnatched it out for sure.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 12-05-2003, 02:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents
How can you tell when it's going to split?
I have never had a condy, but I can tell you what I have seen and what I've read.

In the store I saw a BTA that was stuck to the glass and on the base you could tell that it was starting to divide - like a section was beginning to pinch off. For mine though, I came home one day to feed her and looking into her mouth I could see the coral skeleton she's sitting on! 8O

I called every LFS around. I was so scared that she was melting down because her color went more gray-green than white-pink. No one I spoke to was confident about the signs of splitting, so I don't know if the hole-in-the-middle staring point is common.

Volume II of The Reef Aquarium by Sprung and Delbeek has an excellent description of all of the known reproductive modes of anemones.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:31 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 12-05-2003, 11:36 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was wondering if you could post what you think might have caused it to split. Were you feeding it more, changed conditions, etc.?
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsGuru
I was wondering if you could post what you think might have caused it to split. Were you feeding it more, changed conditions, etc.?
Darn good question...I most definately didn't do it on purpose, but I can summarize what I have in my journal...

The BTA was added 9/7 and began to split 11/10. I have her in a 26-gallon acrylic tank at 80 degrees and SG 1.025, pH goes from 8.0 to 8.4. I use C-Balance for calcium and all the other stuff for invertebrates. Food consists of phytoplankton for the corals, I don't know if the BTA eats it, but she always has shorter, bubbly-er tentacles after the dose. The clowns also bring home their food - formula 1 and 2.

One odd thing is I use water from an LFS near my home that claims to be from the ocean near "Catalina Island," I set the tank up with this and haven't had the guts to switch away yet, but I'm trying to work up the nerve to move to a mix because I am worried of a breakout of marine velvet that killed all but one of my 5 fish 3 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it came from the water because the fish were in there for over a month before the first death.

After looking this over, I would venture to guess that since anemones have such a slow metabolism, the splitting is probably a lucky leftover from the place I bought it from that splits BTA's regularly. I'll see if I can get some inside info from them.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's nice to see an anemone post that isn't a cry for help. Congrats on keeping that tank in great condition.

Tags
anemone, bubble, bubble tip, bubble tip anemone, film

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com