Bubble Tip Anemone tank maturity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forzaazzurri

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I really want to get a couple of BTA's for my clowns but I am not sure about maturity of the tank. The present tank is recent transfer from a 1year old tank so is this OK for tank maturity ? I only transferred Live rock and not water or sand.

I have been told to wait at least till the tank is 7 months old. Lighting is really important too. What type do u have?

I recently got a 120 W dimmable blue/white LED for a 40G bow front corner tank. I think it's sufficient from what I have been reading and probably too much.

It looks like my clowns need something to host and they are not hosting any of my other corals. One of the clowns is digging sand at night which is usually a sign of wanting to host something.

How long ago was the transfer? What was the previous and new tank sizes?probably want to wait a month or two after the transfer for the new tank to establish.

What about your filtration system? Is all that brand new too?

The filtration system was also transferred. HOB Skimmer, HOB mini refugium and 3 power heads.
Water is pristine as far as PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is concerned.

I don't check for calcium, alk, phosphates, magnesium etc. since everything is thriving.

Clowns do not need to host, it is not guaranteed they will host. If you are not ready for a bubble tip In your tank mine host a frogspawn just fine. That's my 2 cents. Good luck

I have Xenia already but I do like the look of Frogspawn so I will try that first.

Many thanks for the suggestions !!!

My tank bread clowns showed no interest in hosting until a while after they paired up. 7 or so months after I had them the hosted my hammer coral. You never know what will happen I guess.

You can do it now. Though I would definitely test for your nitrates and phosphates. If they're low enough and stable then you'll be good to go. BTA's are definitely the hardier of anemones.

I also have hammer coral but they show no interest in it but like you said who knows in the future. These clowns have only been together a few months now.

Float a plastic colander at the top of your tank. Tie it to your canopy using string so it can't sink. Add in your anemone and clowns. Remove the colander once the clowns start hosting for a day or two.

This is the best method I've used to get clowns to host. Much better than the picture taped to the side of the glass etc.

do you have corals in the system? i was in a similar situation but i had some easy corals in my tank as well. so i knew it's good sign of maturity when my beginner corals are doing well and thriving.

Yes I have all easy corals (softies and mushrooms) and want to get to the more difficult stuff.

Back
Top Bottom