bubble tip anemone - water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foamythesquirrel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I've had my BTA for several months now. And like I should expect, this one is not satisfied and moves around the tank.

Currently, the BTA is near the water line, up against the back wall.

My concern is performing a water change. I have a 29 gal and replace 4.5 gals of water which brings the water line down a few inches.

Is it ok to drop the level slowly past the BTA, while then immediately following up with a water refresh?

On a separate note, I am going to talk to my LFS and see if they will take it back seeing that I don't think this is working out... and I have been reading that they usually don't.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_6452.jpg
    IMG_6452.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 122
I agree with taking it back.
I have gotten into the habit of checking the top walls of the tank before my PWC. I lost a blue Linkia star that had one leg over the top in the back of the tank. I didn't notice till it's body was out of the water.

my lighting is PC, 65W with a 10K and actinic. Someone told me that anemones are good in tide areas, which indicates they can handle a lack of water for a short time. But I still think it's going back, now a matter of how to handle it in order to bag it... don't want to do any damage. Any thoughts as to how to extract from the tank?

Thanks for the input.

so I performed my PWC just a few hours ago and anemone seems fine afterward. It was obvious that being out of the water wasn't pleasant, but once the water level raised back up, all went back to normal.

If it keeps moving, it's NOT happy!
You do not have a strong enough light to maintain it.
Anemones need prisitne water conditions, and lots of light. That's one the reasons most end up dead within a year.

If it keeps moving, it's NOT happy!
You do not have a strong enough light to maintain it.
Anemones need prisitne water conditions, and lots of light. That's one the reasons most end up dead within a year.

Im not picking on cmor1701d, its the standard answer or answers to the "my nem is <insert concern here>" post. I agree with the not strong enough light part, but the rest is pure conjecture.

T-5s or halide are common for keeping nems, CF is not unheard of though. I knew a woman in our local reef club who had an amazing RBTA under CF lighting. It did wander but the nem grew for years, it was the center piece of her tank. However, thats only one example. IME nems move for reasons we know, and reasons we don't. Based on the fact your ready to take it back, I too vote you take it back if you can do so with out injuring it and if the LFS will take it. Perhaps even better would be to ask a fellow hobbiest local to you if they would come remove the nem. Just a thought, GL.

I commend you for your straight forward thinking and that fact that the Nem is not happy in your system. That said, the only problem is will your LFS take it back for credit. If that doesn't work then MF's point should be well taken. IMO

C-F is not unheard of, but using the antiquated formula of 3 - 5 watts /gallon. This is a 29 gallon with 65w CF which is well below the minimum.

The vast majority of anemones die within a year of being bought. Some live longer, but it's a very small percent. In the wild these creatures have an unknown lifespan because it is so long and not well studied.

To move an anemone you can try pointign a small powerhead at it's foot. That's usually enough to get them moving. Once they do, slipping a credit card (or blank) under it's foot is easy and then you can remove.

Please check with the lfs first about getting a store credit.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom