bubble tip TIPS please....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had two before when I was starting out in my 55 and lost them both in the powerheads. I now have a 125 and just bought my third one , so I am looking for any advice .I know they move on their own . However what do they like as far as waterflow lighting etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't keep them anymore because IMO they are a pain. They need moderate flow and high lighting. As much as most SPS corals need. At least that's how I use to keep them parked and alive.

If they stay compact, they are getting enough light. When they spread out they are trying to collect more light. If they get stringy, there isn't enough light and/or food.

Last edited:
Good light. But, most will like to be in a low flow area. Too much flow and they wont attach their foot.

spoonman said:
Good light. But, most will like to be in a low flow area. Too much flow and they wont attach their foot.

Yes, they like to attach to coral rubble amongst corals. The more crevasses the better.

I think my lightng should be ok I am running a v.h.o set up with a icecap ballast. My lfs runs the same setup in all of their tanks and their display. They have a bubble at least a foot too a foot and a half around. It always looks nice and happy. Guess I will have to hope for the best this time. And take you all up on the tips. Thanks much.

lovemyreef said:
I think my lightng should be ok I am running a v.h.o set up with a icecap ballast. My lfs runs the same setup in all of their tanks and their display. They have a bubble at least a foot too a foot and a half around. It always looks nice and happy. Guess I will have to hope for the best this time. And take you all up on the tips. Thanks much.

Remember, the fact that anemone is so big is that he probably isn't getting enough light. Look at pictures of them in the wild and in really well lit aquariums, they are dense and compact. I would get him to try to stay up on the top of your reef, then he should be okay.

Last edited:
Sounds good right now its about half way up the tank on the rocks. So far it looks settled in thanks only time will tell . I'm going to hope for the best.

ForumRunner_20121104_184508.jpg

ForumRunner_20121104_184531.jpg

ForumRunner_20121104_184608.jpg

A couple of pics. We are on the rebuild after dealing with a bad hair Algea
issue. As far as rock goes I'm thinking about adding but not sure. That's about 250# plus I have some in the sump. What do you all think ?

Lost my bubble tip the same way :( hope this one works out! Let me know what works for you

I'm no expert, but the BTA looks fine to me. It's not bleached at all. As long as its not constantly wandering around, it's probably happy.

I have about 1800 gph one circ one powerhead and the return pump from the sump the pic only shows about 4 feet of the tank

Remember, the fact that anemone is so big is that he probably isn't getting enough light. Look at pictures of them in the wild and in really well lit aquariums, they are dense and compact. I would get him to try to stay up on the top of your reef, then he should be okay.

Will have to disagree on this. I have 3 (oldest one for 7 years) and they all set less than a couple of inches from each other. 2 are plump and short and one is stretched out and stringy. All 3 set under 5 inches under 2/250 MH. Exact same conditions and placement in tank. The 2 fat ones are from a split 3 years ago, so just like people I think it is genetics.

Here are my RBTA and obta under LEDs...

Also have a LTA and condy... Most of the time they are stringy and don't stretch up. Sometimes they bubble... Just a reference for you.

Attachments

• image-718816524.jpg
    image-718816524.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3705926485.jpg
    image-3705926485.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 117
  • image-2354382206.jpg
    image-2354382206.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 100
Looks good . The one at the lfs has been in the tank since the late 80s from what they tell me as well as the clowns that host it.they are also the biggest clowns that I have personaly seen... I will have to stop in and get some pics.

Holygral said:
Will have to disagree on this. I have 3 (oldest one for 7 years) and they all set less than a couple of inches from each other. 2 are plump and short and one is stretched out and stringy. All 3 set under 5 inches under 2/250 MH. Exact same conditions and placement in tank. The 2 fat ones are from a split 3 years ago, so just like people I think it is genetics.

We'll just have to disagree.

lovemyreef said:
I would lile to hopefully see something like this over time this is the one at the lfs.

Looks nice. It's at the top of the reef next to his trumpets where they are getting maximum light.

Back
Top Bottom