Bubble tipped anemone - supplimentary feeding sufficient?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

Just something that popped into my head and so I thought I'd ask.. with a bubble tipped anemone is it sufficient in low lighting situations to feed it with meaty foods in order to keep it alive? I assume bleaching will occur if it's low enough, but to keep it alive.. can that be done with sufficient supplementary feeding? If so, with what?

I dont know but there have been people on here that say if you supplement the feeding instead of proper lighting they were OK but I prefer to use proper lighting and just letting them get what they need from the lighting and water column. I`ve seen much better results from this.

In essence, you probably could yeah. The reason why I wouldn't though, would be because corals get their nutrition from their zooxanthellea, which is kept "alive" by light and feeding. If you but out the major part of the equation (the light) you will still be able to keep the coral alive but it probably won't live as long, grow as big, or color up as nicely.

But yes, I agree with melosu, it can be done I'm sure.

It would probably bleach out. Yes you could do it but it will not live as long as if you kept it under all the right conditions (with the right light). It would last maybe a year or little more if your lucky but will die prematurely unless it gets sufficient light + feeding.

Don't get it unless you can take care of all of its needs.

Heres an interesting note from my tank..I have a fairly large Green BTA. When I was running (About 2 weeks ago) a 10k light that was bright white, the BTA had stayed (For nearly 6 months) under the rock letting its tenticles flow in the current. Recently I got a replacement 10k bulb but this bulb is *much* bluer. (Dont ask, I dont know why either, though I suspect the first bulb was not a true 10k but more likely a 5.5 or something..) Anyway once under the bluer light, though even the same wattage the anemone began to roam. Up until then I had stopped trying to feed it all together because it wasn't interested in feedings. Now under the new lights it welcomes a meal. I guess my point is given enough of the light your particular anemone wants it will most likely be happy. If lighting becomes scarce or is not of the spectrum it needs its going to need to be feed to stay healthy. This makes sense since photosynthesis will only be optimal under optimal lighting conditions for your particular anemone. Anything less than optimal lighting and it would begin to starve, ever so slowly or quickly, unless supplemental feedings were given to make up the difference. P.S. He really likes the frozen cod!..

Peace.

I would not mess around with putting one into a low light situation. When they have proper lighting they are really happy, then when you feed them they balloon up like crazy. The tips swell up and they color up when given both. Go with something else IMO.

And also if (when) it dies in your tank, and you don't catch it in time, then there goes all the money you spent on livestock.

Back
Top Bottom