Bubbles, good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazwaz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey! My filter keeps spraying my Lr and corals wiyh tiny water bubbles. Those are good or bad? I think some stick on the corals and LR sometimes!?

Please advise

What kind of filter, and do you know why it's bubbling? Agree, some corals probably won't like it, plus more bubbles popping at the surface equals more salt creep..... flakes of salt falling back into the tank & onto corals is really not good.

Okay i see, its a canister. I will be using it for another month till i can pay for an overflow wet and dry sump. I have a HoB skimmer and refugium that i am using for macroalgae chaeto and moss ball.

Periodically it just catches some air from I dono where, and i hear it go through the filter to the output

image-2237547042.jpg

The bubbles dont just stay up, theyre so tiny that they even sink with the current off the glass.

All my corals are healthy except for my zoa. The polyps are open but not the tiny hairs, almost as if it is hiding the vulnerable tissue from something. I saw something moving around in there, so i stayed to watch and i found a black/white worm. It was not brislte, no fiberglass hairs on it.

I dumped it inside the Coral RX, and still nothing after following advice and directions.

image-1336237967.jpg

The intake of your filter is grabbing air from somewhere. You should trace your intake line for any leaks. No idea whats goin on with your zoas

The canister is now inside my HoB

image-3638945760.jpg

That should increase the flow in there, it was getting dusty/slimy in there and now its cleared up. Might face a nit or amm spike for s little bit cuz of moving things around, its ok i set this Hob two weeks ago, and cleaned it last week anyways.

So now my canister is taking from the output of my refugium, and putting it back into the begining. That should take some dead particles/detrius and run in through the cannister. I need a powerhead inside my DT now, cuz my canister output was acting as one.

Gazwaz said:
The canister is now inside my HoB

That should increase the flow in there, it was getting dusty/slimy in there and now its cleared up. Might face a nit or amm spike for s little bit cuz of moving things around, its ok i set this Hob two weeks ago, and cleaned it last week anyways.

So now my canister is taking from the output of my refugium, and putting it back into the begining. That should take some dead particles/detrius and run in through the cannister. I need a powerhead inside my DT now, cuz my canister output was acting as one.

Seems like now youve taken most of the mechanical filtration away from your tank since some of it will just be recycled back into your fuge. Did you plan on keeping it like this permanently?

I feel it is a good idea to attach the overflow system to a small sump, just to add the carbon/calcium reactor, heater/cooler, and other goodies without taking space in my tank. The canister will stay inside my Hob till i hook up the new overflow.

image-319282595.jpg

Why is my octospawn opening its mouth, i thought they are filter feeders+photosynthetic

Setting up sump, i would need an overflow with matching return pump rate(+head pressure), and an acrylic/glass premade sump. I do not do a good job at checking for leaks and keeping glue stable, which is why i want is pre made

You can feed them. I feed my torch mysis and it pulls it in. I try to feed my octospawn mysis but i think its too big because it just lets it go. It probably might eat brine shrimp but i havent tried. And no feeding is not required. They can thrive on just light and water quality.

I don't know if this is a crazy price for a 770 acrylic tank, but I was surprised that someone was selling such a large aquarium on craigslist. Whoever bought this would need to hire professionals to get it to their house! It's massive...just dreaming of an awesome huge reef! :lol:

770 Gallon Aquarium

Since youre in sou cal as well, we may go halfs ?! Lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom