Bubbles in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Everyone!

I have bubbles all over everything in my tank!
I thought it was my HOB filter at first but now its getting ridiculous!
The sand is blowing bubbles I think!

I read about this and it seems this is part of the nitrogen cycle and this is actually nitrogen gas bubbles...

I thought bubbles are BAD !

Will this condition go away?

thoughts?

Generally when you hear about the bad bubbles it is becasue they are in your filtration system. They still are not normal for a tank.

Just to confirm, is this a SW tank?

You are correct that bubbles coming out of the sand are generally by products of bacteria growth but they shouldn't be covering anything.

Are they small (micro) bubbles? I would strongly suspect the HOB filter as the source of the bubbles.

Raising the water level will help with bubbles from the cascade caused by the filter.
If you don't have your tank stocked you can stir your sand up and do PWC until your params are stable. Sifting inverts or fish will also help that from happening as well.

Is the water falling from the HOB into the tank? Raising the water level to the level of the outflow will generally stop the bubbles, or at least keep them on the surface. If the water is falling into the tank then I think you are out of luck.

No, the water level is full, sump keeps it full.

The spouts of the hob stays about an inch under the water...

It doesn't bubble very much but that still does not explain the bubbles all over everything. I have algea and they are sticking to the algea

If you have a sump why do you have a HOB? Why not do the filtration down there.

I can't tell those a bubbles,but since that rock is right in front of something, I'm going to still have to blame that.

The overflow is behind that rock, that's not making any bubbles and is on opposite side of the tank then the hob

just take a toothbrush and brush over them.. they'll float to the top.

When you start up your pump you can get air thru the pipes that ends up sticking to everything.. Used to happen every water change to me. Now I move my return above the water line before I restart.. Anywho.. move so they float to the top.

And yes, that is cyano on you bed

Ok, Toothbrush strikes again! Got em all cleaned up, Im goin to do a water change tomorrow and try to suck up that cyno..

Got to get me a RO so I can get this algea under control!

Back
Top Bottom