Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
With that stock, you definitely don't need to add any buffers... As Greg said, if you start adding a lot of SPS to your system, then you may need to dose. With what you're running, regular pwc's are replenishing everything your tank needs.

And I would absolutely recommend some good test kits (NOT strips!!). Red Sea kits are my recommendation..... maybe not as good as TOP end, but plenty good enough for the money.

Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
That and the chiral you have are lps, not sps. Just remember that it's advice. Some people have no issues withusing things like steps and recommend them to others. They just aren't as accurate as liquid, and if you run a reef you want to be as accurate ad possible.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
It's about the difficulty level of the corals you are trying to grow. Some are very tolerant, some aren't. Phosphates for example need to be measured at below .05 for most SPS corals. Most test kits have a real problem going this low. I use a Hanna meter for that reason. If you want to know just 3 values with accuracy, it is salinity, ph and phosphates,
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
.. Everytime I go into the " good" lfs and get my water tested they say everything looks good just add some buffer...Then I go into the " crappy" lfs and he uses a test Strip and says my water is good and don't use buffer because you shouldn't put chemicals in your system...Hmmmm which on is correct?
If you're continuing to get your water samples tested at an LFS you may want to have them provide the actual parameters. "Looks good" and "is good" is open to a lot of interpretation, you'll want the actual dkH or ppm of the test results (if they didn't provide it).

Comparing the obtained parameters with what your target parameters are will give you a sense as to whether any adjustment is required or not, and if so, how much adjustment is needed.

Rift Lake and Reef tanks.
kay-bee19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com