Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Buffering Top Off, need some advise

Okay, well here is the quick backstory that a lot of you already know:

Switched from B-ionic to Kalk, was mixing Kalk in 32G reservior for auto-top off, end result was 5X more work than just using b-ionic.
Resolution: Getting an admiral dosing pump from reefdosingpumps.com to dose my b-ionic for me and going back to keeping things simple. The kalk solution just doesn't stay fresh in a container that size. So now im thinking that I need to buffer my top off water, however I am not sure the best way to mix it. I am using seachem reefbuffer, evaping around 2GPD and have no idea how much buffer to add into the 32G top off reservior to keep things in line. Any suggestions on a place to start? Thanks!

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't think RO/DI water needed any buffering. I mean there's no ions in there to start with so it shouldn't have any effect on the pH of your tank. But this is just in theory so I could be wrong..

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I should have elaborated a little bit, my PH has to be buffered or else my morning PH falls from 8.05 to 7.80 within 5-7 days of a water change. I would like to buffer my top off to keep the water levels stable rather than have to address a decline once a week.

-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
OK, there may be an underlying problem if your pH is that low and continues to drop. Kalk does a better job at buffering than B-ionic and it a whole lot cheaper. 32 Gallons in a resevior wouldn't have a problem with staying fresh if it were air tight. And before you go dropping that kind of cash on a reef dosing pump, an auto top off system with solenoid, incorperating your R/O unit, dual float switches, all feeding a kalk reactor would be cheaper. Any idea why you have a pH drop off?

R-
Old 06-09-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a much different experience with Kalk, I mixed it with 2TBS per gallon of fresh (E.S.V.) brand, and I still had a daily decline in alk and Ca. I am just not comfortable tackling it yet. My PH seems to be effected most after a water change, however right now its hard to tell because I still don't have a handle on my CA and ALK supplimentation. LoL I miss the ease of dumping 30ML in the sump every morning.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Isn't it normal for PH to be lower in the morning (after lights have been off for an extended time) as long as the range stays the same, morning PH to evening PH, then everything is OK????
Old 06-09-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, it is fine that its lower in the morning, however without the use of a buffer it begins to get too low after the course of a week and a water change

Old 06-09-2004, 05:38 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisc0
I mixed it with 2TBS per gallon of fresh (E.S.V.) brand
That should actually be 2 teaspoons per gal, not tablespoons. Any eaxtra will be wasted as it is beyond saturation. It could also be part of the problem although shouldn't affect the pH really. If you have too much of the kalk solids in solution and it enters the main system, it could cause localized precip keeping your numbers down or inconsistant.

In stead of the way you've been doing things, try mixing up one gal of water with just 2 teasponns of kalk about 5-8 hours before needed and let sit in the fridge to settle out. Drip after lights out (clearish liq only) and see what happens over the next few days. If the container you use now is getting to much ambient CO2, it will render it useless quite quickly. It's not O2 you need worry about, it's CO2.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-09-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay, I have to start by saying that i made a mistake, im using teaspoons. The other problem is that the container is not air tight, its a trashcan, however I don't have a CO2 problem as I aggressively airate the surrounding air space.

Old 06-09-2004, 06:33 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisc0
however I don't have a CO2 problem as I aggressively airate the surrounding air space.
It's not just circulation you need to worry about but also ambient CO2 in the room itself if you get my meaning. There are many things that will affect the levels of CO2 that you personally will not notice but it can be a problem. Do you keep the window open? That will help clear out the CO2 levels and give you better O2 saturation.

What are your alk/Ca numbers?

Cheers
Steve

Tags
buffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com