Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also wou;ld go with reefcleaners for a clean up crew. Just be warned they really really go overboard as far as number of inverts. I usually order a crew for half the actual water volume. :)

Glad you are almost done getting everything done, it's been a LONG LONG journey Buffy but you're almost there. Then you just have to start the next journey of upgrading or redoing stuff. LOL j/k ( i hope)

Buffy said:
Thanks, I saw they had a custom section, so I used that to see what they would suggest, there are so many different that I've gotten lost.

Needmorecowbell - Finally got a chance to look at your video, thank you, it was a great help. Was that from overseas? I'm kinda leary ordering outside the states. Least here I can drive there (at some point) and give them a piece of my mind lol.:lol:

It came from china, but shipping was free and it came in less than a week.

I got my stuff from reef cleaners. John is a beast, you should buy from him if you need a cuc. I asked for 20 ceriths and ended up with about 150 lol. Same goes for about everything else I ordered.

I think John is lazy and doesn't like to count. When you order 10 of something he just throws in 10 scoops. :)

LOL ya'll are funny. Thanks Carey, you ALMOST scared me away with the forewarding of ONLY having to upgrade LOL.

Reef Cleaners it is. Am waiting to hear back from them on what they think I should get.

Here is John's recommendation. Anyone want to input....add/change/delete?

40 Dwarf Ceriths - small effective cleaners
16 Nassarius
17 Florida Ceriths
14 Assorted Hermits
9 Large Nerite and 7 Small to medium Nerites
2 Emerald Crabs

Thanks

I have several emeralds in each of my tanks and have not had any issues. :)

The cuc list is a full one in my opinion. I think it will work, just be careful of the hermits. I would get some empty shells for them so they have a less likely chance to kill the others for their shells. Darn hermits. lol

The nassarius snails you wont see until feeding time and the nerites will stay at the top of the tank near the rim all day. The nerites are very effective at getting the line of algae near the sand bed and the glass, I have a ton of nerites for that reason.

The dwarf ceriths are great tiny cleaners, they wont be seen much during the day but at lights at they will seem to be everywhere. lol

Hope that helps buffy!

I agree with Carey on all counts. I got 3 emeralds back in August. I knew one didn't make it but suspected another had also parished until I upgraded from my 45 to my 125 a week ago. Found two of them. I love the nassarius. I put in an order on a group buy that should arrive on Tues and I added a couple more emeralds. Love those guys. :)

I really wish I could buy a clean up crew for my tank but it's totally impossible with a triggerfish,...as soon as you drop 'em in they are eaten,.... It makes for a lot of extra work for me and probably not the cleanest tank either but I guess it is what it is when you raise a predator fish like that... :-/

update w/FTS

Everyone is in the 75 Gallon as of last night, here is a few pic. Gonna order clean up crew today, algae issues. Other issues as you can see with some of the coral. Wish I could figure out where they go so they don't bleech or die (and yes I research but I guess I am not reading right).

Anyway, gotta run so here's the pictures.

Attachments

• 2012-05-09_08-59-39_621.jpg
    2012-05-09_08-59-39_621.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 2012-05-09_09-49-31_873.jpg
    2012-05-09_09-49-31_873.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 2012-05-09_09-49-39_119.jpg
    2012-05-09_09-49-39_119.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 122
One of the things I have been doing to help me with positioning Buffy is to take a rubberband or a piece of string and move it around the tank. It will help you know where your flow is weakest and strongest and even if it isn't strong enough for a coral. Since doing this all my corals have been happy with their new homes.

Tank setup is absolutely awesome Buffy! I love that rockwork, almost what I wanted but couldnt quite get done. lol

For flow testing, I use some purple up into the stream. It's milky and cant hurt anything and shows exactly where the water goes. Neat little trick I picked up somewhere.

Thanks for the idea's I'll have to try them both. For now the flow isn't even "organized", I still need to do the sump. I'm still wondering how my protein skimmer is gonna fit. The min water line is just about to the top of the tank and the max water line is above the tank. Hmmmm. am still sorting this one out, All I need is a few valves, some pvc and I can get it done, but I'm procrastinating. Doesn't look like there's any room left after the return pump, skimmer and filter sock is in there to do anything with, heck it looks like the baffles may just get in the way too. Sure doesn't look like any of it can be a refugium either with that stuff in there.

Even Dary likes the rock work !! :)

LOL and the right side is still not the way I want it.

Ordered my clean up crew tonite. Should be here on Friday.

20 Gallon Temp tank has been broken down. Everything is in my tub for cleaning lol. Thank goodness I have another bathroom with a shower in it (it just has a fishy hose in it lmao)

Time to sit down with my other 20G on the table here and try to figure out the sump/refugium. UGGGGGG, I hate plumbing. LOL

LOL and the right side is still not the way I want it.

Ordered my clean up crew tonite. Should be here on Friday.

20 Gallon Temp tank has been broken down. Everything is in my tub for cleaning lol. Thank goodness I have another bathroom with a shower in it (it just has a fishy hose in it lmao)

Time to sit down with my other 20G on the table here and try to figure out the sump/refugium. UGGGGGG, I hate plumbing. LOL

Your not alone, I too hate doing plumbing on aquariums. LOL. If I didn't have Carey's help when doing mine, it would have been a lot more time consuming. :)

Back
Top Bottom