Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am brain dead and have learned this is a helluva confusing, expensive, frustrating, procrastinator instigator and addictive hobby.

What have u learned?

Buffy said:
Am brain dead and have learned this is a helluva confusing, expensive, frustrating, procrastinator instigator and addictive hobby.

What have u learned?

Lol,...and you also get to play God ,scientist ,doctor and be the landlord too ,..wether its a 5 star resort or a slumlord situation all depends on your tank,..it also can become very,very time consuming , but I think the overall rewards comes from knowing that "YOU" did it .,... Gotta love it !

Last edited:
All is well (for now) in Buffy's Reef Queendom. :) Finally figured out what goby it is that keeps hiding. It's the Hi Fin Red Banded Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes). He popped his head out tonite :), he is so cute with his yellow face even if he is a chicken sh..

I believe my Red/White Hard Tube Coco Worm has escaped:(:bawl:. He was the last of the original stock.:nono:

Am gonna order a few Peppermint Shimp, couple of Emerald Crabs and a Copperband Butterflyfish soon.

Plumbing Pics

This is the Pump Discharge Piping. It's not glued yet.

img_2026018_1_ee57fd724bdef3a50e84cca14ce4af9e.jpg

This is the right hand side of sump piping. Only a few purple splotches :)

I'm going on a late night bicycle ride and a little night fishing, then I'll be sleeping and when I wake up, I have the left side to glue, the pump side and the vertical runs to glue. Only have maybe 3 more cuts to do, then wait wait wait for water test.

I am planning on water testing all legs prior to the final glueing of the 3 sections together, then more testing after that. WHEW!!!!

I'm sooooooooooo proud of myself, I STARTED glueing the stuff LOL :ROFLMAO:

I believe my Red/White Hard Tube Coco Worm has escaped:(:bawl:. He was the last of the original stock.:nono:

Dont remove the tube as some times they lose there crown when stressed so it may still live Nice to see you still plugging along (y)

Buffy its been a while since I've been on forums don't know if u remember me or not but you have done such s wonderful job always setting the bar in yearns of the commitment needed for this hobby such a great example for people entering this hobby... thank you for sharing your experiences.

Thanks ya'll. I don't see where I set the bar on anything but thank you for the compliment.

I just typed alot and it wiped out. Long story short.....1 year ago today, I was cycling and buying filter, lights and pumps.

Both you were there and Grizz is still waiting for the "Buffy's 125 Gallon Build" LOL Keep waiting a little longer. Well I think you said something about my 75 G being a sump, I hope that IF, (note the IF) I go that big then I hope a 55g sump would be okay with you :)

Skimmer Broke - Help please

I was moving my skimmer out of the way when I dropped it on my foot. Where the pump is attached to the skimmer (manufactured that way), the "tube" that connects the 2 is either acrylic or a very hard plastic. Anyway, it broke at the opening of the skimmer. It's a Reef Octopus. Can anybody help me fix this, it's still "brand new", I've not used it yet and am gonna be done with sump soon. I can't afford a new one.

Here's a picture.
http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums...ew&current=photobucket-5331-1342317809245.jpg

Thanks, I hope someone can help me, these thing we all know are not cheap.

Ouch ,...sorry Buffy ,. So that was you uttering a few well chosen words the other day ? I think I heard them all the way in San Diego .. Man that looks like a major break if I see the picture right,..just for the heck of it you ought to call reef octopus and explain what happened,..maybe you'll get a real sympathetic person on the other end f the line who can bail you out,...worth a shot,..nothing to lose at this point.... Maybe they have a "2nd " that they can't sell but can use as parts? ...

Ouch ,...sorry Buffy ,. So that was you uttering a few well chosen words the other day ? I think I heard them all the way in San Diego .. Man that looks like a major break if I see the picture right,..just for the heck of it you ought to call reef octopus and explain what happened,..maybe you'll get a real sympathetic person on the other end f the line who can bail you out,...worth a shot,..nothing to lose at this point.... Maybe they have a "2nd " that they can't sell but can use as parts? ...

Um not the other day, was only 1/2 hour ago. I posted like 5 minutes after and while my foot was/is still throbbing. Was only wearing socks on my feet and it smashed first on the top of my foot then went to the floor but it broke on my foot cause one piece went one way and the top rolled in front and the pump went off to the left. Grrrrr was/is a mess.

I took a magnifying glass to it and even though it is jagged, it feels and looks as though I may be able to superglue it cause it appears as though there are no chunks/chips gone.

Sump Picture.....Whatcha'll think?

Here's my piping so far.

Left side not glued to the T.
Right side is glued including the T.
Discharge is glued to elbow, which that and the T is not glued. 1 more cut on the risers then those will be glued, those will be glued last of course.

Whatcha'll think? Do you think it will be okay?

I'm pooped, I hope nothing comes up tomorrow so I can hopefully finish the glueing and do some water testing.

bought livestock

I bought some livestock and it should be here tomorrow, bought from LA.

3 Blue Chromas
1 Copperband Butterflyfish
2 Emerald Crabs
1 Foxface
2 Yellowhead Jawfish
1 Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse
Snails
2 corals

Can't wait. I know big bioload, but there's gonna be 2 qt tanks going.

Woohoot, sump will be done and tested by tomorrow. Broke skimmer is still holding good. I like superglue lol.

Have you tried bluezoo aquatics I know you seem to like LA, but they do a great job hun only catch is they don't stock nearly as much.

That's a hefty list, I'm excited! And don't we all love superglue? Ive actually started using the original superglue gel ( I think scotch) and it has been good to me so far. It's much easier to work with the small tubes.

Buffy said:
I bought some livestock and it should be here tomorrow, bought from LA.

3 Blue Chromas
1 Copperband Butterflyfish
2 Emerald Crabs
1 Foxface
2 Yellowhead Jawfish
1 Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse
Snails
2 corals

Can't wait. I know big bioload, but there's gonna be 2 qt tanks going.

Woohoot, sump will be done and tested by tomorrow. Broke skimmer is still holding good. I like superglue lol.

That's a lot of critters.......

Have you tried bluezoo aquatics I know you seem to like LA, but they do a great job hun only catch is they don't stock nearly as much.

No I haven't, thanks, I will look into them. I don't like their prices but I do like their service.

That's a hefty list, I'm excited! And don't we all love superglue? Ive actually started using the original superglue gel ( I think scotch) and it has been good to me so far. It's much easier to work with the small tubes.

I love the Gel also, it works real good with the corals, and the cuts on my hands too. :)

Back
Top Bottom