Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #1081
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with you Gregg,I've been feeding my corals live shrimp I hatch in my coke bottle and I can tell a difference since I started doing that.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #1082
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Whatever works best for your tank I suppose is the right answer. Do yiu have corals? cause I believe they need some more white light in their diet.
I do full I can't add anymore no place to put anymore

Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #1083
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

I do full I can't add anymore no place to put anymore
I have zoas.. polops..bottun coral.. chili..plate, frogspawn.. birdsnest.. a maze brain. Kenya tree...and lettuce
Old 09-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #1084
Aquarium Advice Addict

MIA MIA Peppermint shrimp :-(

Every day before I go to work, when I get home, and before bed I do a head count. Yesterday and today I've not been able to find my Peppermint Shrimp, there are rock areas that I can not see into. I know they hide and all but had been able to find him up til yesterday. Everyone else is doing good in the tank. All I have to feed right now is these algae things (am tired or else I would get up and get the name off lol, but when I get up I'm going to bed).

So am hoping he turns up.

Oh my Emerald Crab --- not quite missing yet, didn't see him this morning or today but I did yesterday. I can't quite see in the area where he was yesterday. But I won't think he's missing til tomorrow nite.

Question: If I have an Emerald Crab, why is he not green? Every dang picture I've seen they are green. Did someone do a "switch on me"? Don't take that bad, cause who sold it to me knew his stuff and he honestly believes it is an Emerald Crab but I haven't seen a non-green one (been search web ever since I got him)

Last but not least.......@Carey...Somehow your "quote" line didn't make it. I was thinking the same thing as far as replacing with 2 purples also. So I would have 2 white, 2 blue and 2 purple but I hadn't research enough for that yet as I'm trying to get an order together for magnesium, phosphates and all the other tests I'd. Dang though I can't afford a Hanna for phosphates :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
Feels like its been forever since I posted... had to read 10 pages on my phone sheesh.. worse then careys thread.. looks like your coming ali g great!

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Top myths in reef keeping:

Many corals need no food, they get all they need from their algae - wrong, while it will sustain a coral, they all need food to grow, even if you can't see what they are eating.

Corals like low salinity - wrong, the salinity where they grow is almost always above .025

Corals need temperatures under 80 degrees - wrong, most corals grow in waters from 78-85 degrees, 90 seems to be the bleaching point.

Corals need constant temperature - wrong, they tolerate a few degrees either way in their natural habitat all the time.

The reef is a sterile environment with little phytoplankton in the water - wrong, the early researchers didn't see the tiny transparent stuff they like to eat.

The analogy is a coral reef is millions of mouths pointing into the current ready to get fed.

I am sure this will stir up some controversy, but this is the leading scientific understanding on corals presently.

So Buffy, when you get your corals situated, look into this.
Thanks for the info. I already plan on doing some of the things you mentioned and my water varies from about 79 to 81 now, I had it almost steady for the longest time at 82 but when I tried lowering to 80, I can get there, I get the swings now, I didn't before. (The swing is over the course of 14 hours==which is about how long I'm gone on work days).

I don't have an Apple, got a link for it for the web then I can view on my laptop or my phone?

Night All - Off two weeks, this week kicked my butt and am tuckered so I'm gonna sleep til I wake up, (dang I hope it's more than 3 or 4 hours).

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #1085
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You can buy Coral Magazine on the web I think.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:12 AM   #1086
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is also a free app for iPod /phone it appears that the issues are free I haven't messed with it much yet.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:32 AM   #1087
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-words
There is also a free app for iPod /phone it appears that the issues are free I haven't messed with it much yet.
I have been reading these on my iPad and really enjoyed them. Need to see if I can subscribe and buy further issues.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #1088
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have android. I thought I checked into the magazine and somewhere along the way got stopped. Not sure if it was price or what. But I found this that I look at:

Reef Hobbyist Magazine - Your Reef Aquarium, Coral and Tropical Fish Magazine

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #1089
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm still wanting a program to use, I think I've narrowed it down to 2 now. Here's one I just downloaded to use the 30 day demo. If anyone wants to check it out and post their thoughts I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Aquarix Aquariumsoftware

Old 09-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #1090
Aquarium Advice Addict

Coralife Aqualight Power Center

Ok, so I bought this timer. Seems pretty simple to use, soooo why can't I figure it out?

Anyone have this, a little help would be great. Just to get me started. Some reason am brain dead. I have Nova Extreme Pro. 6 bulbs. 2 bulbs are on one plug and 4 bulbs on the other plug. The 2 bulbs are the blues. The 4 bulbs are 3 whites and 1 blue.

Also says optional wave maker, does that mean I need to buy something else or just plug my power heads into it and time them?

Thanks

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com