Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

2nd box Base Rock Pics

This is from the damaged box.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #112
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Save the rubble. You will eventually have a need for it.

I saved a bag of it and put some in my refugium, some in my pico and the rest i plan on attaching corals to. very handy to have

Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

k. As you can see from the picture, the rock was definitely tossed around. The bottom row/s in the table picture are pretty small. Bottom of box picture doesn't do it justice, there's alot in there. From the looks of the pieces on the table and in the box.....I could tell they were "freshly" broke.

I'm not worried bout that too much as I'm sure I will find uses for them. But 2 questions.

Does the rock in the 2 different boxes appear the same?
What size is considered "rubble"?

Thanks

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 06-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

To me, the rock looks the same. i consider rubble anything that can fit in my hand. lol

Did you buy the 50lb box and then buy some by the lb? Cause it's all the same rock, just more expensive if you buy it by the lb.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
To me, the rock looks the same. i consider rubble anything that can fit in my hand. lol

Did you buy the 50lb box and then buy some by the lb? Cause it's all the same rock, just more expensive if you buy it by the lb.
Yes that's what I did. The pictures looked different. So I thought it was shaped different. I bought the 50lb box and then bought 50lb by the lb. So that's whylol lesson learned.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

@Carey....Sorry bout your fishie too, didn't post anything cause didn't know what to say. No experience to help.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
@Carey....Sorry bout your fishie too, didn't post anything cause didn't know what to say. No experience to help.

It's ok. I still don't really know what to say either. :-(

I was at the point one part of yesterday where I was considering giving it all up. Silly thought, but I just don't believe he died.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

While reading your posts, you mentioned bout wishing you had the rock against the back wall. I've read we shouldn't do that. But after reading your posts am wondering why not. I would think that it's space that can't be seen and would give more room in the front plus fishies wouldn't get stuck back there, besides how do you clean a small length like that.

Also if it rested against back wall, tumbling against it and breaking the glass would be no worries then. My kids said. "you gonna put all that in the tank" I said yep, but have been unsure how to do it WITHOUT getting it on walls AND leaving space for cleaning.

So now question to all:

Your ideas on placing rock against back wall or not and why please?

Old 06-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am just now setting up my tank and I do have a lot of rock resting along the back wall. I'm never going to be able to clean it anyway so didn't see the point in giving a space. I've seen a LOT of tanks that are set up the same way as well and don't see any problems with it. I did make sure my bottom pieces were firmly touching the bottom glass though to make sure they didn't shift.

I did leave room along the sides and front for cleaning.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I am just now setting up my tank and I do have a lot of rock resting along the back wall. I'm never going to be able to clean it anyway so didn't see the point in giving a space. I've seen a LOT of tanks that are set up the same way as well and don't see any problems with it. I did make sure my bottom pieces were firmly touching the bottom glass though to make sure they didn't shift.

I did leave room along the sides and front for cleaning.

I've seen both ways also, and all I want is to clean sides and front too. I don't want to damage tank or anything, but I also have short arms and need to use a step stool to reach in my tank so I don't want to clean or have anything I can't get to back there (sorry Carey-I'm kinda nervous cause of your fishie) so I want to "block" back there.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com