Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2011, 03:12 AM   #1201
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use h2ocean salt seems to work good. Woth your ph readings do you have any calibration fluid. You got the saltwater ph test right ( if it truly matters) have the lfs check your water and take a sample your self at the same time and compare notes.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #1202
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
seachem reef salt, oceanic, tropic marin, red sea coral pro, D&D ocean, coralife, kent marine...all of these worked fine for me. yes, i buy reef grade salts, not instant ocean which i consider a FOWLR salt mix.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #1203
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just a quick question, is it possible for salt to go bad? Say if it sits too long or gets moist?
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #1204
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Not really unless contaminates are introduced.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #1205
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm going to use a different salt then. I'm also going to down my light times too cause of algae.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #1206
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sounds like a good plan. Trying another salt might get your water to where it needs to be. I've been contemplating switching myself, but the $47 for 200g is sooo tempting with I/O.. LOL Plus I;ve been having alkalinity issues and slight ph issues as well. But I just may have to dose is all since I have so much in the tank. You shouldnt have to with what you've got in yours.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #1207
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I submitted my order for BRS and added Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. Just for 55 gal though. I'll get more later, it'll get me started. I figure I will get 2-3 water changes with that. Then the other should be diluted down enough that this one takes over the majority.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #1208
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got my order from BRS today, UPS was my alarm clock today LOL and it only went off a half hour early.

Had to do factory reset and reinstall operating system on laptop so just got it working again. Hopefully I can get the important programs I was using back installed without data loss from the backup.

Gonna open my BFS order in a few, (long nights at work this weekend, am exhausted). Gotta find my brace first, can barely walk.

Another or continuning algae outbreak. Most of the brown was gone after pwc and vacuuming. Now it's brown and green. Some areas so dark green on glass can't see through. Algae scrapper I got doesn't clean very good all.

Everything is pretty much covered. Not enough that all you see is brown and green rock and sand but enough over everything that it wouldn't take long to just see algae.

Have no clue where my Scarlet Reef Crab is. I can't see the legs on alot of the snails so I can't tell where my red legged friend is. (No I can't tell by the shells yet....His shells looks like a snail shell too LOL)

Once algae is done, gonna take pictures of the different shells in my tank and try to figure out who is who.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #1209
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reactor Setup Problems..Help please

Ok, So I got my BRS Phosphate Reactor and took it out of the box. Read the directions. Directions are pretty basic (looks like they are typed in Word), I swear how hard is it to include pictures? The directions don't match up with the equipment.

Now when I ordered this I thought it was HOB, well looks like it can be if I could figure out how to attach it to my tank.

I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to connect the thing without the directions, but.....what do I put over the intake tube so my little critters don't get sucked up?

If I get this thing hung on the tank do I just put the pump in the tank and let the intake hose dangle in the tank too?

Uggg. I need a darn sump!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cause this really looks like it should have been labeled on the sight as in sump, though it says can go in, mind you IN the tank. YUK!!!!

Can anyone help me get this thing hanging on the back of the tank (temporarily) please?

Also am running around u-tube while restoring my computer here (had to factory reset) looking for maintenance and stuff. I would like to know if anyone has a very good AND easy link somewhere to help me get a sump/refugium made please?? Pretty please???? LOL. At this point I don't care if the sump sits next to my tank on my end table lol.

Thanks for helping everyone, ya'll been fantastic, I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

I have 2 1/2 days off and very little finances so hopefully I can get my lights hung, (the last sink drain done), all maintenance done on tank and a useable sump done (and a few household things too, and maybe eat if I have time LOL).

Old 09-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #1210
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You are always in a whirl I tell ya LOL

I ahve no idea how to make the brs reactor hang, unless you mount it behind the tank with screws as I think it has a screw mount on it, correct? The maxi jet 1200 should have come with a few doo dads in the box one of which can add a little filter thing to the intake to avoid fishie disaster.

I wish I could help with the sump idea, but alas, I am useless in that capacity.LOL I just bought a premade one and went from there cause I am a woos.

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com