Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #1231
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and the lights are on right now and the temp is 69.5. Lights have been on about 4 hours so far today.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #1232
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I like and use the aqueon pro's in most of my tanks. The temp is stable once you dial it in correctly and no broken glass potential.

What kind of heater did you buy?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #1233
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Buffy, get the best heater you can afford because these temperature fluctuations have to go. A couple of degrees is no big deal, especially if it happens slowly. But 10 degrees is lethal.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #1234
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I like and use the aqueon pro's in most of my tanks. The temp is stable once you dial it in correctly and no broken glass potential.

What kind of heater did you buy?
I thought you posted somewhere what you used but I couldn't find it lol.

I have 2 of the Marineland Visi-Therm Submerisble Heaters - 1 Visi-Therm 300 (rated for up to 80 gallons) in my tank and 1 Visi-Therm 150 (rated for up to 40 gallons) that I use for mixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Buffy, get the best heater you can afford because these temperature fluctuations have to go. A couple of degrees is no big deal, especially if it happens slowly. But 10 degrees is lethal.
I thought I got a good heater lol, I wasn't born with knowing what the best is LOL, so unfortunately I am learning by losing money. These weren't cheap and so I thought they were pretty decent. I mean the 150 was on sale for 18.39 and to me that's alot of money for a heater that is only rated for 40 gallons.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #1235
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

They have 150 watt aqueons on sale on amazon

Amazon.com: Aqueon 06107 Pro Heaters Submersible Aquarium Heater, 150-Watt: Pet Supplies

Cheaper than the 50 watters. lol their other ones are all cheap too it seems but this one is rally cheap. lol I was gonna buy one just to have a spare for under $20

I spent over $40 per heater on my larger units :-(
Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #1236
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the visitherm stealths have been known to fail. they were recalled. i heard they would burst open and shock things. i heard of people returning them to the store and got their money refunded or replacements.
i would also use multiple smaller heaters instead of one large one. as greg said above, the large fluctuations will restrict you from ever having a beautiful reef tank.
if you have say, three smaller heaters running, and one fails, your tank water won't suddenly go cold or hot (depending on what the heater does when it fails..some get stuck on) and you'll be able to catch it before your tank goes south. with a single heater, it's all or nothing.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #1237
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
the visitherm stealths have been known to fail. they were recalled. i heard they would burst open and shock things. i heard of people returning them to the store and got their money refunded or replacements.
i would also use multiple smaller heaters instead of one large one. as greg said above, the large fluctuations will restrict you from ever having a beautiful reef tank.
if you have say, three smaller heaters running, and one fails, your tank water won't suddenly go cold or hot (depending on what the heater does when it fails..some get stuck on) and you'll be able to catch it before your tank goes south. with a single heater, it's all or nothing.

You beat me to the punch , I was just going to ask whether I should get 2 smaller ones instead of 1.

I doubt they'll take mine back, I don't recall where I got them, I thought Drs. F&S.

Anyway, gonna order more than one. So if I order say 3 smaller ones, what watts would I go with? Just divide 75gal/3 and get 3 25gal sized ones?

One other problem, if I get three, I'm gonna need three plugs and I have a power strip (only lights on it, nothing else can go cause of timers) plugged into a powerstrip (7 plug gfci) plugged into an normal (non-gfci) outlet LOL, I'm think the fire marshall may be after me soon.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #1238
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You don't even wanna know how my electricity is done here. LOL OMG it;s horrible. I have extension cords from different rooms since the circuit on the 125g wall cant handle it all. I have more extension cords going to the 55g since theres no outlet there. And the mh fixture on another circuit made me add yet another extension cord to another circuit based socket. bleh.. i wish i was dating an electrician sometimes....LOL
Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #1239
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i guess 3 hundred watters should work.

don't worry...here are a few pics of my wirey mess...

welcome to the club!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #1240
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
i guess 3 hundred watters should work.

don't worry...here are a few pics of my wirey mess...

welcome to the club!
That reminds me,I have an emergency generator,but after seeing your pictures it reminds me I need to get a fire extinguisher to.LOL

Tags
build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com