Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another question - Temperature......... I'm seeing different numbers. I'm thinking 80 after all I read.

What's the ideal temperature to strive to maintain?

I placed my 300 watt heater on back wall, centered and horizontal.

I keep my tanks at 79 degrees. Used to keep em at 80 but went down a notch LOL

The temperature you want is a constant steady one. In the range of 76 to 82 I'd think is about right.

I just checked again, heater is set at 79 and am reading 81ish (80 and 82 are both "lit"). I have a stick on temperature indicator on the lower front left of the glass.

When I used the heater in the beginning before I had to drain everything, I had it set at 79 and it would go to 82-84. Then the heater was mounted on back wall but at left corner and vertical. I moved the temperature indicator to various spots and it made no difference. So now I moved the heater.

Do I have a problem with my heater?

New Pics!!!!!!!!

I may add more sand back in. I need a turkey baster or something to get the sand off some of the rock.

What ya'll think so far?

More Pics

Here's a few pics looking down. Hope you can see the caves, nooks, and tunnels. Where there is one "hole", I tried to have an "exit" for them to swim through. Caves in the middle I don't remember if I made a through path or just strictly a cave.

Anyone see anything I should do different? I do plan on buying more rock but not yet.

Im on my phone but the pictures look good from what I can see. You don't have to over think the rocks though in practice you'll move some here and there. Especially once you get to corals. :)

Im on my phone but the pictures look good from what I can see. You don't have to over think the rocks though in practice you'll move some here and there. Especially once you get to corals. :)

K thanks. umm, me overthink? I believe your head has been racing too LOL. I think all of our heads race when it comes to these tanks.

Salinity was at 1.024, added another 1/2 cup, waiting.

When I do my FIRST pwc after cycling........

How much pwc?

How far ahead can I make up sw?

and

Can I mix in the same container as I make the water or do I have to mix in a separate container?

I don't have room for another big container. One 10G Brute is storing ALL that extra sand. The other 10G Brute is holding 2 live rock with ro, til I see if I end up with critters.

K thanks. umm, me overthink? I believe your head has been racing too LOL. I think all of our heads race when it comes to these tanks.

Salinity was at 1.024, added another 1/2 cup, waiting.

When I do my FIRST pwc after cycling........

How much pwc?

How far ahead can I make up sw?

and

Can I mix in the same container as I make the water or do I have to mix in a
separate container?

I don't have room for another big container. One 10G Brute is storing ALL that extra sand. The other 10G Brute is holding 2 live rock with ro, til I see if I end up with critters.[/QUOT

Buffy,... Once you've finally completed you cycling process and you look at your tank and you take in that deep breath and exhale and go "whew",.. Well, here we go.....then the normal rule of thumb is to do a big water change for your first post cycle event,..usually around 50% ,... Then depending on what your tanks readings are,..then 10-20 % weekly or biweekly,...I normally will do about a 20 gal pwc + - every Monday morning ( day off), on my 75 gal tank and do my normal tank maintenance then too.
I will usually always have a 30 gal rubbermaid filled with new sw ready to go a week ahead of time,..a thermometer and a powerhead will take care of the rubbermaid's mixing etc.....I also make up a 8 gal water canister with my RODI water for my top offs,....
Your tank is looking nice..btw..... :)

@Dary421. Thanks. I took a big breath after I got my rock in. My hands got all scraped up especially my thumbs. Wow sw hurts them alot LOL. I'm just preparing for routine stuff and making a "plan of attack" to try to keep it all smooth and organized.

Buffy said:
Here's a few pics looking down. Hope you can see the caves, nooks, and tunnels. Where there is one "hole", I tried to have an "exit" for them to swim through. Caves in the middle I don't remember if I made a through path or just strictly a cave.

Anyone see anything I should do different? I do plan on buying more rock but not yet.

Looks very nice!

I just checked again, heater is set at 79 and am reading 81ish (80 and 82 are both "lit"). I have a stick on temperature indicator on the lower front left of the glass.

When I used the heater in the beginning before I had to drain everything, I had it set at 79 and it would go to 82-84. Then the heater was mounted on back wall but at left corner and vertical. I moved the temperature indicator to various spots and it made no difference. So now I moved the heater.

Do I have a problem with my heater?

The stick on temperature things are not the most accurate. I would go buy a better thermometer to check to make sure that your stick on one is close to the proper temp.

2 ppm, added more ammonia :), gonna sleep then keep adding til I get to 5 ppm.

Buffy said:
I just added ammonia to my tank to start it cycling :)

"......and away we go". ... You just put your tank into "drive". .., you're rolling. Now,.. Enjoy the ride :- )

Nice!! And 5ppm will give you a nice strong colony of bacteria too. I stuck with 4ppm myself. :)

Can't wait for new pictures after you've got more stuff set up!

Back
Top Bottom